Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mb82

Where do you keep your flys

I am not sure if anyone else has this problem but I was wondering where you keep the flys you tye that don't immediately go into a flybox. Lately I have been tyeing so many for different people that I don't have space to put anymore. I had an idea to glue some of that craft foam up to the wall so I can just hang the flys there but I am not sure how well it would work.

get some of the clear plastic boxes that have dividers in them to keep them in. You can get ones from Walmart or even from the hardware store for about 3/4$ that have around 20 compartments.

I store my flies on flat peices of coragated card board befor I ship em I also use the plano boxes that SD referd to they work well to

Big plastic bins designed for crafting (beading?) from the dollar store....

I have all kinds of different sizes, each divided into compartments perfect for flies.

Cheers!

Gary

A few push pins will hold the foam , no need to glue the foam to the wall. A peice of wire wrapped around two push pins will also hold flies nicely. I also use the above mentioned craft type boxes

A thin cardboard box with a piece of sticky back foam in the bottom. Will hold hundreds of flies and if you can find the box for free somewhere it will just cost you for the foam.

Thanks for the ideas, I think I will use them if my setup does not do what I would like it to. I had a few pieces of white foam so I duct taped it up to the wall first and then decided on the door I covered over instead.

here it is, also you can see my tying area. Yes that is a bobber you see, a friend left it at my house. I swear.

user posted image

I agree with the plastic box solution. Plano #3620 or 3260 (no it's not a typo) with the 20 adjustable compartments. When I contacted Plano politely they sent me a couple of handfuls of extra dividers for free. Now each box (I have 8) has 32 compartments. Only about $3 each as mentioned.

QUOTE (Greg H. @ Aug 9 2005, 10:54 PM)
When I contacted Plano politely they sent me a couple of handfuls of extra dividers for free.

That's good to hear: I use Plano 3500 series boxes in my "guide-style" tackle box and am always pissed at the lack of dividers.

I also have 8 of their 3870 "satchel-style" boxes (for fly tying supplies) but they had oodles of dividers included.

Cheers!

Gary (gonna phone Plano and make nice about dividers....)

I would get some self adhesive foam weather strip for that door. Put strips horizontally about 2" apart. I bet you could put a lot of flies on that door that way. bugeyes.gif

QUOTE (Wooly Bugger @ Aug 10 2005, 02:08 PM)
In a pile next to my vise huh.gif biggrin.gif .

WB

Thats what I have now and well I don't like it.

I'll be a plastic box nay sayer - if the flies have a wrapped hackle or are pushed up against the side of the box they could warp.

I do a ton of tying in the winter (like most people) so I generally have way more flies than boxes. I got a three drawer plastic bureau - it was like 10 bucks. And I cut slits in the sides of it and laid plastic bead chains aross like a series of clothes lines and then I hand the flies on the beads and shut the drawer to keep out dust, dogs and bugs.

You can hold a ton of flies none of them warp and its simple to find what you need when you refill your boxes.

When I tied commercially I used both the white plastic boxes with dividers as the other guys mentioned. Or if it were flies with delicate hackle or feather wing salmon flies I had magnetic metal strips on the wall I attached them to.