Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fla. Panfisher

poppers on the wekiva...

Finally got a little time to fish so the wife and I went to the wekiva river to spend the day, I tied up some foam poppers and they worked great for brim... user posted image user posted image I got really good casting side arm cuz alot of places are so narrow. Any tips on poppers? I was avoidin legs cuz they tended to helicopter on me, I wonder if they make a difference? dry.gif

I've always put rubber legs on my smaller panfish poppers.....can't really say if it makes a difference or not.....A lot of times, when i'm poppin' for gills, I'll put a wetfly/nymph on as a dropper on 12-18" below the popper.......there's a good thread running on TFF forum about that.......

Mike

nice photo and what looks like a very nice light flyrod

I think the rubber legs help with the action but I too avoid using them because I just cant seem to get most of them to stop spinning around and around.

Guest luvinbluegills

Best to carry both. Start with the poppers without legs. If they work, great! If the fish need more action via the legs, tie 'em on and just deal with the tippet problems. Most of the time the right popper and action will get them to hit without legs.

Nice lookin' fish by the way!