Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

fly fishing for flounder

Yesterday I went fishing in Calcasieu Lake with my friend. We were on the water by 6:30 am. We spent most of the morning trying to find speckled trout and redfish using convential tackle and failing at it. We did pick up one nice flounder. About 11 am we decided to try some fly fishing in a relatively small bayou known as Hog Island Gully. I got several half-hearted hits on a glass minnow on my lighter 7 wt fly rod. I then switched to a clouser with a tail mimicking the wing, making this fly longer than a standard clouser. I tied this fly to mimic the only thing I've catching fish on this summer using conventional tackle, a white slimy slug with reflective silver specks in it. Anyway one flounder decided he liked it and inhaled it. Didn't manage to land it, because the flounder immediately came to the top and started to flap, during which I managed to somehow break the 8 lb tippet....but at least I found out my fly was effective...

Mark Delaney

Forgot to say, Calcasieu Lake is in southwest Louisiana, south of Lake Charles.

Mark Delaney

I have never heard of flounder being in a lake. Is there access to salt water? Or am I confused as to what flounder you are talking of. Here they are strictly salt water, and very tasty.

That's cool you got into one Mark. While in Florida I seen some guys catching them but I knew I was out of my element trying to fish for them with a fly rod. blink.gif

Calcasieu Lake is connected to the Gulf of Mexico. There is a deep water ship channel all the way from Cameron on the coast to Laker Charles (some 60 miles by water). The ship channel is the longest dredged ship channel in the US. At the moment you can catch redfish and speckled trout behind the Lake Charles civic center in Lake Charles itself. The Calcasieu River drains Lake Charles, Prien Lake (also within the city limits), Moss Lake and Calcasieu Lake. It is a very large estuarine water sytem. Just north of town there is abarrier to stop salt water intrusion into the upper reaches of teh Calcasieu River system.

The fly i left in the jaw of the flounder ws the wing-tailed Clouser I posted today (8/17/05).

Mark Delaney

Sign in to follow this