Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

Wrapping pheasant tail

What you're looking for for wrapping are some fibers of a centre tail feather of a Golden Pheasant. Depending on the size of the fly and depending on how thick or how thin you want the abdomen to be, you ty in some fibers, point pointing to the eye. Ty these in where you tied in the tailfibres. Then bring your tying thread to the midpoint of the hook and wrap the pheasant tail fibres round the hook until you reach the tying thread. Here you decide if there is enough left to use for the thorax corner. If not you ty in a new bunch of fibers.

rolleyes.gif

Sjo

I would just like to add to what the other folks have told you.

After I tie in the tail, I tie in 6-8 fibers by the tips. Then you can do a number of things. One is to wrap them around the thread similar to peacock herl to help support them as you wrap them forward (they are somewhat fragile). The second is to twist the fibers and grasp the ends of them with electrical grips and wind them on the hook shank that way. Another way to do it is to wrap your ribbing wire around the fibers and wrap them all forward at once.

I think the thorax corner should have been thorax cover, or shell back (don't know for sure).

Also, try a number of different tail fibers. Ringneck, golden, amherst tail fibers look great, but try some Kori Bustard fibers. These look awesome.

Kyle

QUOTE (OLB @ Aug 21 2005, 04:39 PM)
that doesn't sound to bad, what's a thorax corner?

I've got very big fingers, I tried to type Thorax Cover. Sorry.

Sjo

For reinforcement you can also cover the shank with head cement and wrap the fibers while it's still wet. headbang.gif

I've only used nymph skin so far for wingcases(thorax covers), when using feahers such as turkey, pheasant, etc, do I coat it before or after it's tied in? I'll be using sally hansen's

OLB, you want to coat the shank of the hook before you wrap the phesant . The phesant fibers are fragile, and the teeth of the trout will tear them up fast, and gluing them to the shank will reinforce them.

The way i reinforec the fibers is to bind a thread ti the shank at the point you tie the phesant tail fibers. , then catch the thread and the p.t. fibers in a pair of hackle pliers, and spin the fibers( i use this same technique to reinforce peacock herl) into a rope , and then wint it uo the shank of the hook to make the abdomen.

Here is an excelent tutorial on the pt nymph.

http://www.charliesflybox.com/flybox/details.cfm?parentID=71

on a plain PT fly i like to use the end ot the pheasent piece as the tail and then just advance it forward. I like to use copper wire as a reienforcement it works well and adds some wieght to get the fly to break the surface without using lead. I just use the PT feather for the wing case too. ONly PT tail fibers, peacock hearl and wire a hook and maybe some lead on my PTs. Well and some thread!

FM