Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
GlobalFisher

Murrays Hellgrammite

I am planning on using it for some trout at a lake by my house. I am thinking it will be very effective for them. This fly looks like it will have a lot of action underwater. I didn't have any black legs so I substitued with some olive legs.

Thanks for the tutorial Jerry!

Do you guys have hellgrammites up in AK? I didn't know if they would thrive in the colder climate up north or not. dunno.gif

Not really sure to be honest. I am not thinking so but we may.

With the legs on the front and in some whites and browns it may work as an imitation for a baitfish. Without the legs it would be a killer leech imitation and we have those in the lake. We catch a ton every time we go, on buggers and leeches.

I am thinking this fly is going to have some great underwater action.

I am moving back to Oregon pretty soon though so I can use them on a wider variety of fish. I'm sure we have them in Oregon.

I was looking for olive legs. Then I saw the antenna. They look good on that fly. Cant see a problem with it. Except it getting torn to shreds by some trophy fish!!

I tested it out last night at the lake and the fish went pretty crazy over it. A few times they hit the fly before it ever had a chance to sink. I cast then it made the rings, then right after a fish got it. Nothing to big(biggest around 12"). My biggest out of this lake so far is about 17.5".

They loved it!

Anyone know of a place to get ostrich herl. Thanks

ALSO that fly looks great man, and glad it caught fish, nice