Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Tying with materials from craft and dollar stores

I just finished writing an article for the Contraband fly Casters newsletter about tying with materials fomr craft and dollar stores which might be of interest. This is important to tyers in the Lake Charles, LA area since the nearest fly shops are over 120 miles away. the article and fly pattrns will 3/4 of the newsletter...

The link is:

http://tinyurl.com/ct6pz

This is a Geocities site with limited bandwidth, so if you can't get it the first time, keep trying. If you still can't get it, contact me with your e-mail address and I can e-mail the pdf file (1751 kb in size).

Mark Delaney

I didnt get it. I have no fly shops near me either and spen alot of time in the above mentioned stores. Its amazing what you can get!

The server this is presently on has a very limited bandwidth restriction. We are currently trying to get this linked and up on the FTF, so maybe in a day or so it will be easier to access. If that doesn't happen I'll explore sme other options, hopefully with fewer bandwidth restrictions. The article is THERE but accessing it is a problem. I can e-mail the article to you directly if you wish as well. Just send your e-mail address to me at [email protected]. You'll need about 1.8 MB of free space in your mailbox since this article has quite a few color pictures...

Mark Delaney

Mark,

If you ever want to store anything like that on this site just give me a shout, I have plenty of storage and bandwidth room. I was able to view it and I saved a copy, if you want me to throw it up on my server just say the word.

That is great info man, I just found a big roll of two-ply chenille with brown and black spiraled together.....two colors for the price of one roll. headbang.gif

Will,

Thanks, I'd appreciate it if you'd do that. SteelDrifter was asking me in the "Timely tips" section if I'd mind if a link to it got "pinned". That's fine with me. As I said this was written for our local fly club newsletter (which hasn't gon out yet, but i get the unenviable job of being president and newsletter editor/secretary, so I get to do what I want, mostly). SD asked me to e-mail it to him since he couldn't access it (I'd expected this problem). But I don't have SD's e-mail address...

If you don't want pdf format, I can get it into Word, WordPerfect or html. The last would probably take a day or so (but is probably smaller in size, but all the images have tobe sent as separate files as well). Whatever you'd like. Thanks again, Will.

Mark Delaney

Yupp I just got your PM Mark. As soon as I get the article from Mark I will get it transfered over to the site for everyone. This is a topic that I think ALL of us are interested in so as soon as I can, with the help of Mark, I will get it posted so it can be seen on FTF for you guys.

Thanks to Mark for a great article idea yahoo.gif I know I'm lookin forward to seeing it wink.gif

Thanks Will,

I'll send Steeldrifter a Word version tomorrow morning when I get back to my work computer...that's where the orignal file is, and I should be able to convert it fromWordPerfect to Word in less than a minute. Just don't have that file at home...As I said, I can do pdf, Word, WordPerfect or html, whatever works best...

Mark Delaney

Mark I will get it posted on the site as soon as I get it. Great topic for a post buddy, I know I always look for those deals and I cant wait to see if there something you can share that I have missed in the past thumbsup.gif

Hi chemprof2001,

I enjoyed your article; it had some great information. Even though I'm in the fly fishing business I still haunt craft/dollar stores on a regular basis looking for "stuff." I fish a lot of tube flies for steelhead and salmon - the tubes I use are standard swabs with the cotton cut off the ends (700 for $1.00 at you know where). Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Obviously, we want to deal with local shops as there is where we get our hooks, line, leaders, tippett, etc. The closest shop is about 40 miles from me so I do check the craft stores and the mega Mart stores. The other alternative is getting supplies by mail order. Recently I went in with a friend to get supplies and split the shipping costs. As long as the shipping meets or beats the sales tax and travel expenses, you can save a bit of cash. Got some foam sheets for 3@99 cents at Wally world. Going to try my hand at foam flies and poppers. I find feathers under the trees in my back yard. The dark colors make great tails for flies. I have a reputation for being cheap.

When I lived in Michigan, there was a sporting goods store that carried fly tying materials two blocks from my house. I never even drove there, just walked down Saturday mornings when I needed somethng. When I moved to Lake Charles, Louisiana, there was a shop that had the unlikely combination of ski equipment (yes, SNOW ski) and flytying materials and fly tying equipment. They moved to Lafayette (75 miles away) after a few years and then went out of business. So that leaves us now with the nearest fly shops being 120+ miles away...the best fly shop in Louisiana was in New Orleans; who knows how it has fared...the owner is fine since he evacuated early to the Memphis area.

I was asked by people to write the article for our local club newsletter, since many of them were interested where I got some of my admittedly unusual materials.

I'd definitely support my local fly shop, if I had one. The purpose was not to displace the items that a fly shop can provide, but to show what can be used to replace items that you would normally buy at a fly shop if you could get to one.

My mother, sister and two brothers all still live in the southern California area. You can bet every time I'm out there I make sure I get to visit Bob Marriott's in Fullerton.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

At the moment my wife has more high quality necks from fly shops than I do. She doesn't tie flies...she ties earrings. Every once and a while I get to sneak a few feathers...

Mark Delaney