Fly Tying
HideHunter

Help on Danvise?

First, let me say thanks for a great resource. I'm pretty new to the game and self-taught so this site has been a great help.

Just bought a new Danvise for Stockards. Service was great. It came with a very informative video. The only thing I might have added was a short "tying" sequence showing the use of the "bobbin rest" and the "material holder".

How, when and where might I use these?

thnx..g

Hiya G, and welcome to the Plastic Club! smile.gif

The bobbin rest is for you to rest the bobbin on while you're using the rotary feature: You can drape the thread over it with the bobbin hanging down on the far (non-vise) side while you crank 'n' spin stuff on your fly. This keeps the thread/bobbin out of your way and also prevents it from continuing to wrap around your hook. I often toss a half-hitch on before I start cranking, just to be sure the thread stays put.

The bobbin rest should be set such that the thread travels in a straight line from your hook to the bobbin rest, and the distance should be as close as possible (so there's less thread pulled out of the bobbin.)

You'll drape the thread over the rest until you get sick of re-winding the thread back onto the bobbin when you need to use it again... Then you'll figure out ways to rest the bobbin itself on the contraption and only have maybe an inch of thread pulled out.

The material holder is simply a spring that you use to hold materials out of the way when you're tying. An example is if you were tying a Wooly Bugger and wanted to keep the length of copper ribbing wire out of the way while you wrap the hackle. Just pull it back and stick it between coils and it's no longer a nuicance.

BTW, the supplied spring is about twice as long as you need (at least mine was): Cut it in half and stash the other half away for a replacement.

Here are a couple of photos for you:

user posted image

user posted image

Cheers!

Gary

dont forget to put a single half hitch in the thread before you use the rotary feature. this keeps the last few wraps where you put them, and keeps you from getting a headache

Thanks.

I figured I had better answer before Troutbum, else our friend here would be trying to figure out how he's supposed to tie with a Danvise up his butt! laugh.gif

(G, it's a long story, and you'll come across it sooner or later)

Cheers!

Gary

I appreciate that Gary.. All those knobs, handles and pointy things might be *really* uncomfortable. blink.gif Take it he's not a fan. biggrin.gif

Anyway, Thanks a lot guys. Knew I could count on you.

I've been playing with it a little and I think I'm beginning to understand the concept. Has anyone got a video out using a rotary vise?

EDIT: think I found a thread that will help on that.. thnx

oh - and the "Ford/Chevy" discussion on vises. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Gary Madore @ Sep 4 2005, 03:20 PM)
I figured I had better answer before Troutbum, else our friend here would be trying to figure out how he's supposed to tie with a Danvise up his butt! laugh.gif

hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif OOOOoh man, I wasnt ready for that one hysterical.gif

Just got my Dan-Vise today. yahoo.gif This thing is cool. I had the extra long spring too. So I cut it in half make the end loops on both springs. One spring I put around the vise as instructed for material and the other on the bobbin holder with a small hackle plyers attached to use as a parachute holder. Got the idea from another vise ad I've seen some where. Good luck with your future fly tying!

Thats my 2 cents.

Sam

Hi HideHunter,

I think Gary did an excellent job of answering your questions. Gary, I think I'll direct people with questions to you <G>. You seem to have the ability to explain it very well. Thank you! Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Well, Hi Al,

Obviously I'm still figuring out all the "resources" on this site.

I agree; thought Gary did a great job and thank *you* for the informative video than came with the Danvise.

Trying to teach myself tying and fishing. I'm kind in that boat right now where I'm learning *just enough* to know, "I don't know nothin'". dunno.gif But I'm still having fun. wink.gif

thnx everyone.. g