Fly Tying
Peaty Mann

Ayrshire Grey(McPhail)

QUOTE (Sgart @ Sep 7 2005, 04:05 AM)
VERY nice pattern!!! Never heard of it before! Is it a classic pattern or is it a freestyle ? The fly looks really amazing!

Hi Sqart,

The fly is a variant of an Ayrshire pattern called the Grey Turkey, I have substituted the grey turkey as you can see.The main thing you have to look at is the bodies, as certain areas had their own colour combinations, hence some of the flies got named after the town or county they were fished. This pattern is local to the rivers in Ayrshire which was fished in the 1920's most of the information I got was from local anglers of that time, sadly most have past away so you will have to take my word for that.

I have other patterns which I wiil put on the the site over the next few weeks.

All the best Davie

QUOTE (Peaty Mann @ Sep 7 2005, 10:56 AM)
QUOTE (Sgart @ Sep 7 2005, 04:05 AM)
VERY nice pattern!!! Never heard of it before! Is it a classic pattern or is it a freestyle ? The fly looks really amazing!

Hi Sqart,

The fly is a variant of an Ayrshire pattern called the Grey Turkey, I have substituted the grey turkey as you can see.The main thing you have to look at is the bodies, as certain areas had their own colour combinations, hence some of the flies got named after the town or county they were fished. This pattern is local to the rivers in Ayrshire which was fished in the 1920's most of the information I got was from local anglers of that time, sadly most have past away so you will have to take my word for that.

I have other patterns which I wiil put on the the site over the next few weeks.

All the best Davie

Very inspiring! If you want to, you can send some interesting "unknown" patterns to me with private message wink.gif

One more thing... do you use micro ostrich or something? The but on this one is really neat! I want that ostrich tongue.gif

QUOTE (Sgart @ Sep 7 2005, 08:07 AM)
One more thing... do you use micro ostrich or something? The but on this one is really neat! I want that ostrich tongue.gif

Hi Sqart,

I use dyed black peacock herl as like you said it looks neat.

By the way I would be happy to send you one of my spey flies for one of yours.

All the best Davie

i'm sorry i hadn't posted on your fly sooner. i think you might understand why. things seems to pass me by these last few days but i took a minute to take a good look and you, as usual, tied a magnificent fly. you have a knack for these spey and dee flies. great job peaty

Bud

Hi Bud,

No worries, just to let you know I will get something in the post very soon.It's not a lot but I know it will be put to a good use.

All the best Davie

thanks Davie, it's not how much you give but the thought that you want to help that matters. i penny can make a heart swell

Bud

QUOTE (Peaty Mann @ Sep 7 2005, 04:58 PM)
QUOTE (Sgart @ Sep 7 2005, 08:07 AM)

Hi Sqart,

I use dyed black peacock herl as like you said it looks neat.

By the way I would be happy to send you one of my spey flies for one of yours.

All the best Davie

I am honoured smile.gif Do you know any good way of sending dee stripwings? I use to fix normal classics on a canvas with thread around the eye and hookbend but the wing on the deeflies are not flat and I guess the wing would be ruined if i used the same method!

I am amazed of the peacock looking so black! I cant see the shining effect that I normally see in dyed peacock.

Hi,

What do you think of this fly. It is my first attempt at a feather wing salmon fly.

What do you think please take into account that I have been tying only for 2 years this easter.

Thanks,

Just Tie.

post-13469-1200135749_thumb.jpg

post-13469-1200135889_thumb.jpg

Davie-Beautiful fly and it makes it even better knowing the history. I look forward to more! PaulR

Hi,

What do you think of this fly. It is my first attempt at a feather wing salmon fly.

What do you think please take into account that I have been tying only for 2 years this easter.

Thanks,

Just Tie.

You've posted as answer to our man in Lanark - nice start, personally (as I say to everyone) I would suggest you aim at starting with established pattern, at least whilst you're finding your feet, as it gives a benchmark from which to judge where you're going in terms of look etc (for instance on this creative pattern the wing is in my eyes pretty short - but you may have actually been aiming for that look).

A Red Rover is a great fly to start with. BTW it looks, judging from the guinea fowl, that this is a very small fly - try tying at about true 3/0 (between 1/0 and 2/0 on a CS10/3)

Get some blind eye hooks to tie on (Gaelic Supremes off John McLain) - paradoxically they're actually easier to work with than eyed hooks once you get the hang of them (PM me - I have 100s of CS10/3s that I'll never use).

Well done!

Dave Carne

Davie, i missed seeing this somehow . Its a little ripper!!! :headbang: :headbang: