Fly Tying
Graham

Match the Hatch Challenge #9

Hi jocapesca, Thank you for your kind words. Years ago I used to love tying very small flies, especially for fishing the San Juan, and it was fun getting back to the micro stuff. I have been trying out several small diameter threads and for now I like the Gordon Griffiths 14/0 Sheer.

Hi Seth, It sounds like you are really enjoying your tying time and I look forward to seeing your midge.

Graham

Thanks Will, That was probably the hardest fly I've tied. I plan on doing a few more to get the proportions better, and not trim off legs by accident, but I'm happy with the first try. It was also my first time tying with polar bear. I think next month beetles or spiders will be fun, something a bit easier on the eyes while tying. lol..

Graham

Graham! I can't really belive I've missed your fly! That tremendous much details on such a VERY small hook! I've never really had the guts to tie anything smaller than size 20, my trembling hands would probably never be able to tie anything to the hook and I'll end up with all materials tied to my vse insted.. lol!

So far I've tied two midges but they both looked so ugly so I didn't even want to post them, I'll do another try soon.

/Ulf

#24 hook :bugeyes: If I need a fly THAT small I pony up some $$$...OK, how much :rolleyes: #20 is as small as I've ever gone. Truly a nice fly! Do 1.50 readers work :dunno: Thom

Thanks Guy's. I'm really enjoying the challenge and want to get some smaller hooks. Here's a couple more midges.

Graham

IPB Image

Hi jocapesca,

I just love admiring precision fly tying, and your midge is a fine example, thanks for sharing this fly. I also like the wide gap hook for more easily hooking fish. I'm wondering if the abdomen is stripped peacock?

Excellent fly tying my friend,

Graham