Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Reel Suggestions

I have a new Dan Craft 7wt rod that is on order. I am looking for a new reel to match it, this is a pretty lightweight rod. This will be primarly fished for smallies. But at times will also fish for carp, so a decent drag will be necessary. I am looking for something that is fairly lightweight. I have had good luck with a Harris Solitude in the past, but might be looking for an alternative. Has anyone had any experience with the new Ross Rythym, any other recommendations would be appreciated.

I have several Ross reels and like them a lot. They have held up very well, even in a saltwater enviornment. I can't give you any input on how they compare with a Harris, because I have never seen a Harris.

I haven't been able to try one yet (monetary constraints.... sad.gif ) but i've heard some good things about the Ross Evolution. It really all depend what price range you are going for. Harris are solid, as are Ross, and they are both in about the same price range. I'm gonna wait to hear what someone has to say about the newer Fly Logic Large Arbor, if its as good as the FLO line of reels they make, those can be really nice also.

steve

jsb2l i am looking at the same reel to but for my next trip in jan. the ross rhythm.

depends on what you want to spend,the harris solitude cant be beat in my opinion,i have a solitude4 that i have had for many years now and never had a single problem with it big fish after big fish. for a 7wt you may want to go with the solitude3 which is a bit smaller in size and a bit cheaper at $250

I also have a ross g5 that i have had for about the same amount of time as the harris and have no prob's with it ethier,its a good reel and slightly more affordable than the harris.

orvis battenkill reels are a bit more affordable than both at around $120-150 but i have had 2 of them and had some problems with spool to case "rubbing" after a awhile. I was told by orvis it was a "bad batch" but after 2 of them i dont use them anymore myself,it may have just been a bad run on that batch but it kinda soured me for their reels.

I am seriously considering getting the ross rythme in a few days to take on this steelhead trip to PA so i will let you know what i think of it if i do get it. For $200 it looks like a very nice reel.

SD

I haven't tried any of the Ross' yet but I have to say I love my Tioga. The price is right at about $140. Much cheaper than the Ross with the same quality.

jsb2l i just picked up the ross rythme 3.5 today and it is one of the lightest reels for its size that i have owned,i wont be able to fish with it till the PA trip we are going on jan 1st but i'll let you know how i like it after that.

the drag is very smooth and its got a nice quit "click" to the drag i would say that it doesnt' have quite the "brakes" that my solitude has but for $200 it seems like i deff. got my moneys worth i think i'm going to be very happy with this reel for my 6wt steelie outfit.

just wanted to give you a little more info to help you decide.

SD