Fly Tying
HideHunter

Fish Story

Well, you’ve all heard about the one that got away.

One of my goals for the year has been to catch a decent sized catfish on the fly rod. I’ve had fits trying to do so. I’ve managed to land a couple to about four pounds and have lost two bigger ones. Today I was fishing by myself and as hot as it’s been I just had my 3 wgt, throwing a #10 Bead-eyed Wooly Bugger for some ‘gills. I’d sorted off 9 decent females and was looking for one more to make 10, my self-imposed limit. I had just landed a bass about 14” that gave me a good tussle and chewed my tippet up a little. Since I was only wanting one more fish I decided to “chance it” and continued to cast. Any guesses?

I’m still not sure if the fish came out of the water and took the fly as it landed, or took it immediately and came out when I set the hook ,but I got a good look at a couple feet of catfish as he grabbed my fly and headed out. I got him on the reel and 10 minutes later had managed to keep him out of two brush piles by “herding” him with the trolling motor. I thought I had him headed for deep water and hoped I could get him to shore. Unfortunately, he had other ideas, cut behind me and got deep into one of the brush piles. I could look down into it and my leader looked like on of those string puzzles. I’m in a six foot boat here so I don’t have a lot of room to maneuver. Got down on my knees and started breaking off sticks. Finally I broke off a limb and managed to break my leader at the same time. Ain’t flyfishing for catfish fun? dry.gif

Oh, did I mention I still saw the other end of the leader, reached into my shoulders, somehow got him in the gills and flung his little butt into the boat. 27” 8.3# Think Yew - Think Yew Ver Much. headbang.gif

user posted image

If my eyes arent fooling me isnt that a CC61 or 65 reel. If so isnt that a click drag, if so then ur nuts to have that fish on it bugeyes.gif

Good eye, PoOgs. I really made it sound like it "got him on the reel" on purpose didn't I? hysterical.gif His first run took me to the reel and if he hadn't decided to turn around and come back into the bay, I'd have been into the backing pretty good.

Truth is I had my rod parallel to the water and palming the reel and could do nothing with him. I changed my leader this morning and it looked like it had been through a blender. That fish woke up in the morning and said, "I'm gonna give some poor sucker a break today." I think maybe he just wanted his picture taken. I'd rather be lucky than good. wink.gif

Tomorrow I'm going to look for the guy who told me, "Don't spend any money on reels. They are just a place to store your line." wallbash.gif

The next money I spend on equipment is going to be on a couple slightly better "line storers".

Thanks for looking guys - it was fun.

Awesome story. Just trying to imagine an 8lb cat pulling on a 3wt sounds like great fun. I think you showed some serious fish fighting skills and maybe you don't need a fancier line holder on the 3wt.

Graham

QUOTE (HideHunter @ Sep 10 2005, 07:53 PM)
Good eye, PoOgs. I really made it sound like it "got him on the reel" on purpose didn't I?  hysterical.gif    His first run took me to the reel and if he hadn't decided to turn around and come back into the bay, I'd have been into the backing pretty good.

Truth is I had my rod parallel to the water and palming the reel and could do nothing with him. I changed my leader this morning and it looked like it had been through a blender. That fish woke up in the morning and said, "I'm gonna give some poor sucker a break today." I think maybe he just wanted his picture taken. I'd rather be lucky than good.  wink.gif

Tomorrow I'm going to look for the guy who told me, "Don't spend any money on reels. They are just a place to store your line."  wallbash.gif

The next money I spend on equipment is going to be on a couple slightly better "line storers".

Thanks for looking guys - it was fun.

I knew it was, I took that reel bluefishing today, only small snappers, to the one who told u its just to hold line, ive had no problems with that reel so far(knock on my computer desk) wink.gif In some cases a reel with disc is nice but i love fishing and controlling manually by palming my CC65.

I've got three of the things and my only reel (sic) complaint has been that the spool has got enough slop between it and the housing that the line gets behind it occasionally. During the time I was fighting him, I was sweatin' bullets over that a little.

Let's face it though - not a situation I will probably be in too often (unless I'm lucky) biggrin.gif