Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Pastor

Thread

Ordering some materials to get started in fly tying. I'll be tying mainly trout flies. Any suggestions for types of thread to start with?

Probably start with some black, brown and gray, 6/0. That gives you a few colors to to use and enough thread strength so you're not constantly breaking off. Don't worry, if you get hooked that assortment will grow rapidly.

-Bamboo

I'd start with 8/0 Uni thread. It's small enough yet still have decent strength. Just dont start out with to large a thread because you will get use to using that size and then you will break the smaller sizes to easily.

The higher the number the smaller the Dia.

If your only going to get a few spools then I'd say for colors start out with some black, brown, tan and white...that will cover alot of patterns.

SD

Wapsi Ultra Thread 70 denier or 6/0 Danville Flymaster. 6/0 Uni Thread is thicker in diameter than either of the other two and if you're tying very small flies this could present a build up problem.

Many places sell "all colours" of all thread types at not a bad price. In the future you should consider grabing differnt sets of differnt brands to see what you prefer.

I like Uni threads 8/0 and 6/0 for these flies. I would suggest Black, Brown, Red, Yellow, and White. These threads in 200yrd. spools will last a long time.

I've found that I can tie the vast majority of the patterns I need with one of two spools: either black or white 6/0 pre-waxed nylon. I happen to have Danville's on my bench at the moment. I go down to 8/0 for really small flies and I only use another color when it's going to be really exposed on the pattern and the color counts, such as on a WD-40. I also have one spool of Kevlar for tying glo bugs. It helps me pull the yarn down really tight on the hook shank. Lets' face it, most of the time the thread is completely hidden except for the whip finish on the head of the fly anyway. Tight lines.

Tandemfly

Cabelas has a kit of 36 spools in a teakwood box of the most popular colors and sizes of tinsel, wire, floss and poly thread. As stated by cabelas. For $20.00 Sound good to me.

Thats my 2 cents.

Sam

Wapsi Ultra Thread 70. I love mine, so much that I got rid of all my Uni. You flies will be stronger because you can use more wraps without the build up you can get from other threads.