Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
WPaoli

How do I...

... get a feather to lie flat on the shank? Every time I tie something up with something that's supposed to go down the middle of the shank, it ends up canting to the side- away from me as I look at the vice.

Any help would be most welcome.

Well, I'm not really sure...

I'm doing a lot of top water bass stuff and I'm just getting into salmon and steelhead flies with the wing feathers and such.

I'm sure there's a way to get the pressure of the thread to go straight down instead of to one side as you wrap- I just don't know how to go about doing it.

Hope that sort-of clears it up a little.

Use the pinch technique. Hold the feather between the thumb and index fingers of your left hand and place it directly on top of the hook shank where you want to tie it in. Keep pinching with both fingers while you make a loose loop over the feather and then pull straight down. Do this several times (at least 3) before you let go with your left hand. The trick here is that you aren't allowing the the material to move at all until you have enought thread pressure on it to hold it in place. Hope this helps.

Tandemfly

If your talking about tying it by thew quill, you can do some trimming to narrow it down, crush the end so it sits on the shank flat, bend the shaft to get it to point where you want it too, etc. I found this place a little while a go. If you search through, some of his friends have submitted step-by step photos, that really help with setting wings and underwings.

http://www.woodsealants.com/

Hi,

If everything else fails, try mashing the stems flat with a needle nose pliers. This process can weaken the stems so I reinforce them with a drop of Quik Tite crazy glue. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Try this...

Place your feather a little toward your side of the vise. Take a turn of thread using the pinch method, and as you SLOWLY tighten down on the thread, the torque should slightly roll or push the feather in to the correct position on top of the shank. DON'T LET GO YET. Take a couple of more tight thread wraps, and that should hold it in the proper position.

Regards,

Streamer