Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

Did some log flippin this weekend

Here is a pic of one of two damselfly nymphs I caught this weekend. They were both under the same chunk of wood along with a water boatman and a hellgramite :headbang: I didn't find the giant stone nmph I was looking for, maybe next time. Bug hunting rules.

IPB Image

I also caught a couple black stone nymphs and a good cased caddis specimen. I brought them home and am photographing each of them from different angles, plus close-ups. Gonna let them die and take their measuements for my tying notes then frame the pics for my tying room. I want to have a top, side and bottom view of each one in the frame. Eventually I will have pics of all of the important bugs concerning fishing hanging on my tying room wall

Hi:

It's a damselfly nymph, probably Calopteryx sp. (Odonata: Calopterygidae). Mouthpart (prementum of the labium) characters are used to differentiate Calopteryx from Hetaerina spp. (rubyspots). The later are found in warmer streams and rivers, whereas Calopteryx are more tolerant of a broader range of temperatures. They are all clingers, usually submerged woody vegetation and undercut banks.

Cheers, Ethan