Fly Tying
day5

Spey hackle

What is spey hackle? is it a type/types of feathers or a different way to wrap hackle.

D5,

The original Spey hackle came from the tail of the Spey cock, which is now extinct. There are some substitutes available now, the most notable being Schlappen. This style of fly originated in Scotland on the river Spey, hence the name.

Spey has become a generic term for all flies with long, flowing hackle and a low set wing. But to be historically accurate, contemporary "spey" flies are really tied in the Spey style.

Thanks tb I found the schlappin and will uese that thanks again matt

Shlappen is great stuff, but you have to be a little selective about it or it may not give the results you're looking for. Ideally you want something that's not too heavily webbed, otherwise the barb sections will clump into solid sections and spoil the desired effect in the water. Shewey, et al. suggest bleach burning the feathers to destroy the barbules (webby bits) and so prevent the barbs from marrying up. This is fine for undyed feathers, but can change the colouration negatively on dyed lots. You might be better off using something like large "American" Hen Neck/Cape feathers produced by Whitings ("American" is the product line). The larger capes (designed originally for saltwater flies) have long barbs that would serve nicely as body hackles on "fishing" spey flies. A fronting collar of select (extra long) ring neck pheasant rump feathers (fairly inexpensive) is a nice finishing touch on working flies and offers a bit of extra movement in the water.

Here's an overdressed spey using red shlappen for the body:

IPB Image

The shlappen used here isn't too bad, but I probably would have been better off with the hen cape feathers (BTW this one's fronted with just plain golden pheasant rump).

Good luck,

Aaron

the two ive used so far, (the ringneck spey, and the bunt goose), work well for fishing flies, but wont measure up to the blue eared pheasant, or the ronn lucas hackle

I've tied with a lot of spey hackles, except the real McCoy. Heron, eared pheasant,schlappen, and it really depends on the type of fly you want to tie. I tie display flies, and eared pheasant & heron work well for them. I also use kori bustard neck feathers(relatively inexpensive- 70c Canadian each) for bigger stuff. For fishing flies, whatever looks good & flows nice, go for it. There are a few good books out there on tying spey/dee flies by reputable authors, and a few people that can lead you in the right direction. If you're happy with what you use, and it looks good, stick with it. Like the saying goes-"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!" Jamie

Like TroutBum says Spey Cock Hackle came from the tails of a chicken that no longer exists as a breed. The best substitute I’ve found for that feather is Rooster Coque (Tail and Side Tail Feathers) like the picture above. They are 10 – 12 inches long with sturdy barbs (which you want) and a thin supple rachis (stem or quill) making it quite easy to work with. The old patterns used natural multicolored hackles very similar to the ones on the right.

John

post-3378-1127959844_thumb.jpg