Fly Tying
sharpster68

SharpsDragon

This is my first attempt at a realistic fly. Chose a dragon fly thought it would be easier for a first attempt. Take a look at it any suggestions would be appreciated. Its not finished but heres a short run down on how i got it to this point. Body is regular white craft foam from WalMart, legs are 25 lb mono with small electrical wire heat shrink to make the upper segment of the leg bigger. wings were made from overhead projection film printed on a color bubble jet printer then clear coated with satin acrylic enamel from a spray can cause in smuged, eyes were made from mono weed eater string. the thorax was put together with 5 diferent small strips of craft foam, and used Sharpie markers for coloring so far. I've looked everywhere for the pantone pens and for duralar and cant find either. ive tried all the major stores in a 50 mile radius here where i live near Oak Harbor Wa. post-2661-1127921953_thumb.jpg

I think it's a great first try! Very impressive indeed. The proportions are perfect and the legs look very nice. The only suggestion that I have is to try and hide the tying thread a little more to make it look even more realistic. But it's a very nice fly as it is!

Keep em coming!

/Ulf

Good Day,

I agree with Uffe. Wonderful first fly! I do wings in a similar way as well. They really come out looking great!

Steelie

Hi sharpster68,

I agree with uffepuffe and Steelie, an amazing first attempt. Keep it up.

I think you can buy Pantone markers online, but I prefer to go to a store and look at the selection of colors. Last time I went to the fly shop they had markers by Shane Stalcup, small selection of natural colors, maybe he sells them online?

Nice tying!

Graham

Its not quite done just yet. i still have to put some sort of clear coating on the outside of it, then do final paint and touch up. Hopefully that should hide the thread. In that pic the thorax still needs paint. still a bit more work to do on it i think till i will be satisfied that it is done. Sorry for the picture i have an old digital camera that is like .5 megapixel. Been trying to convince the wife that we need to get a better one.