Fly Tying
chrislorne

fly line brands

Just wondering what brand everyone is partial to here, for me it's Scientific Anglers, but I'm using Cabela's Prestige on my 4wt and I'm really liking it alot.

I've been using Orvis Wonderlines but I'm beginning to go lukewarm on them. Good lines and a good finish but the damn tips tend to sink which just rips my potato chips when I'm nymphing. That said, I like the bass bug tapers I've been using for more than 4 seasons now.

I've got a couple SA - I especially like the XXD line on my 10' six for long distance casting with streamers. Its a cannon. I also have a couple SA floaters and they are good.

I just got two Rio DT lines and really, really like them. Amazing performance all around. I'll let you know next year how they hold up.

A big surprise is the Pat Ehlers glow tip bug line. I love it, love it, love it. And not just for fishing at night or in the dark. Excellent taper, slick surface, very good line.

And for sinking stuff only one will do - Teeny.

Joe C

I cant really say that I am dead set on one brand only. Right now I have....

Orvis Wonderline - WF-4-F

SA - WF-7-F

SA - Wf-8-F

Cortland 333 -WF-8-F

Teeny T-200 sink tip 8wt

Rio FS-6

BPS brand (made by SA) WF-5-F

They all preform as they should, I agree with Joe though about the wonderline. I've had mine for 2 years and it was the most expensive line I have, yet the tip dosent float the way it should and I dont feel it shoots better than anything else IMO.

This is what dad has, I am going to change all my lines this winter so I should not talk.

Rocket Taper cortland 333 5wt

today he got Orvis wonderline wf 8wt in striper taper( still not sure what that means)

I like the cortland on my 5 wt so I think I will go with that and I am not sure what I will do for my 10 wt or my 4wt.

edit: Just got Orvis Wonderline WF 10wt Striper taper. It is a huge jump in line quality then the stuff that came with the rod( $100 kit, perfect for since I use the rod maybe 2 weeks out of the year)

how about taper preference??? I find myself leaning towards DT.

All of mine are WF because they're (supposedly?) easier to cast and I'm still learning.

Cheers!

Gary

I use WF...have used DT on my 7 foot rod and found it not too bad ( for drys) but i really dont se emuch difference in those two tapers. I prolly just dont have enough exp. to know any differnce as well :dunno:

I've been using a floating Cortland 444 Classic double taper 3 wt. & 6 wt. ( purchased in May) this summer & fall and find it to be the best fly line I've ever used.If you fish a weight forward line I reccomend 444 Classic, still. I generally cast from 20 to 35 feet and sometimes shoot line out 50 to 70 ft. for Bluegill & Largemouth Bass. This fly line (444 Classic double taper) has very little memory,is very supple with a slick finish and is great for mending line and roll casting out past 30 feet. While I can shoot the whole 90 ft. line if i wish, it is unnecessary for the way I fish. I also adjust my casting loop, i.e. tight and fast for distance or an open loop to sidearm a curve to retreive in a direction other than straight towards me, and this line makes either type of cast and others easier for me to accomplish. The next flylines I intend to purchase are a floating double taper 2 wt. & 8 wt. in Cortland 444 Classic. I've used several different SA and other Cortland fly lines and 444 Classic surpasses them all. IMO. Ralph.

For me its Rio Interchange on my 8wt, and Rio Trout dt on my 3wt. I love Rio lines their slick, easy to cast and durrable as heck, my double taper is 3 years old and just as soft as ever.

I justput a new 9wt SA GPX line on my reel last week. I went out in the pouring rain after smallies & chain pickerel.Well, that line is slicker than donkey snot & shoots that line waaaay out there. I wish I had bought one a few years ago when they came out. In the 2 hrs I was out, I tried a few different casting styles with the line-sidearm,11-2,roll casting & an open loop saltwater style cast(chuck & duck). The line proved flawless. I did have to slow the linespeed down a little on the forward cast, as I didn't want a whole raft of lillypads at my feet. I'd recommend this line to anyone. I've also used Fenwick & Airflo lines, and much prefer the AST coated lines to any I've ever used. Jamie