Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
oneslammedpanel

fly line!!! I am haveing problems...

I know this is the wrong forum but i didnt know where else to put it...

I am haveing trouble with my fly line twisting BADLY when i strip it to cast it twists and tangles,

i striped it all let it relax and re wound it and it still did it? It is SA wf 5 f..is it just because it is a cheaper line/...

This will sraighten your fly line, while holding the leader end in one hand and the backing end in the other. Arms held out to the side, and your line wrapped arround something soft. Pulling and streaching the line apply a steady firm tension for a few seconds. Use your best judgement on what you wrap your line arround, you do not want to ruin your lines coating. Your budys neck would work good. I am not joking. It wont ruin your line pluss it stays off the ground. Remember you are just trying to streach the line a bit

i was about to say, if it was the original formulation of 555 ghost tip line, nothing less than divine intervention will get the kinks and coils out of that guy.

I haven't had a problem with my line coiling up, I use cortland 555 lines. I did have a problem with my scientific angler 15$ line when I first got into fly fishing. It looked like a slinky on the water.

that hobbs creek orange flyline seems to be good for me as I have it on my cheapo martin combo, it turned that thing into a casting machine!!! I heard it was actually made by SA but I can't verify that, only thing is that it is shorter than higher end lines but not a problem unless you cast over 60ft.

Hey, you might try this, because the same thing happened to me. The first thing I did was lay it all out in my lawn and let the sun heat up for a while. Afterwards, I just stretched it out by hand before putting it back on my reel. I had some cortland 555 saltwater stuff that coiled up up no matter what I did to it. I ended up putting in a bucket of hot water for about 15 minutes and then stretching it out by hand. It worked a little bit, but it still ended up looking like a slinky after it was back on the reel for more than a night. Worse case scenario, just get a new line (my solution to my cortland 555 saltwater problem).

-Harris

Most likely it is a SA line. Bass pro shops sells their $20 line under their name and puts it on some of their white river brand rods. Hobbs creek I believe is Cabelas isnt it? if so then thats most likely made for them by SA.

I bought one of the $20 bass pro (SA) lines back in the spring and its a great line for the price.

I had that same problem with an Orvis wonderline WF 4Wt I found it you I use it dry fly fishing alot it tends to do it worse. I try to stop when it gets bad and pull off to where it is twisting and a little farther and let it hang in the swift water this will untwist it ussually. Oh ya take the leader off it works better! YOu can also unspool it in your yard and wlak around dragging the length of the line behind you drad it around lawn things like shrubs etc. this will work it out pretty good. Then when I clean my line why respooling I hold the rod and reel up high and work the coils down the line as I reel it up this will get out the most of it but they will come back so you get to do it agian.

FM

Been there And I thought I was a moron! My issue is while on my dads dock It wraps up around the dock pole then fish on and OH crap!!!!

if you have stepped on the line and slid your foot you might have separated the inner and outer sections. there is nothing you can do to fix this , just replace the line..