Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sage8wt

Need to vent a bit

I apologize in advance for the somewhat negative nature of this post, however something has been bothering me quite a bit as of late! Here is the deal, and please share your thoughts with me 'cause I could be way off base here. In my "home stream" as of late there have been many man initiated modifications. Namely, the removing of structures in the river such as rather sizeable log jams, trees over-hanging runs and redd areas. Yesterday while fishing, I noticed how much easier of a drift I was getting through my favorite run, no snags, hang ups and the such. Some guy wading in the river with a pair of cut off jeans, a shirt saying "White People are Superior" (I kid you not about the shirt either) and a rod fit for shark fishing proceeded to tell me he worked on clearing out that spot for about 6 hours yesterday. Just down stream from that particular spot USE TO BE a huge log jam that held numerous fish in and around it. It has been since cleared out with a chain saw and now is just a slow hole with no structure to hold fish. He also stated his intentions on clearing out another spot just upstream from where I was standing. The spot he is talking about has a very sizeable tree that over hangs the river, covering it from one bank to the other. Under the tree every single year is maybe the largest bedding area in the entire river system. He figures by the end of the week he would be able to have that tree removed and toted out of there. I expressed my concern to him about this, he proceeded to tell me that it's not my river. First of all, isn't a designated trout stream in the state of Michigan off limits to man alterations unless approved otherwise? Also, WHY DON'T PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THAT HARD AREAS TO FISH HAVE MORE FISH IN THEM? For that reason is why I fish the stretch that I do, cause it can or I should say USE TO BE tough in some areas. Thoughts please. Oh yeah, my fantasy football team is now up for grabs, I'll give it away!

Sounds like a fishin skin head is working on his fish anarchy movement. Actually, there must be laws against this, even if it were an improvement of habitat, he would need a permit to do it and would have to have a defined plan on how to do it. i.e. wading in potential trout spawning habitat in the fall is probably a big no no. I suspect that in the US there would be strong legislation and enforcement against this as there is in most countries. I would call up your department of wildlife management or whoever would deal with such things and report the guy.

If it is not his property then you should report him to the DNR and county sherrif.

In PA you need a permit to change anything related to a stream, bottom, structure, flow or cover even if you own it. I'll bet even where you live you have similar laws. I'd inform a DNR officer of the time your "friend" will be there.

if it is his property you should still report him. Property rights usually do not give you the right to destroy fish habitats as there is almost certainly an implication beyond the property boundary.

as far as I know how it is here in ontario, if you do work any where "near" a river, you need a permit, regardless of whether or not you own the property, also if you destroy fish habitat, you must replace it with 5 more. I remember reading that, we had work done on the moira, it was long overdue but the city was required to fix up the river, it's lookin great now :) we have the "ministry of fisheries and oceans" which looks over that.

I certainly should contact the local officials. As much as there is no excuse for this guy to be doing this, there is no excuse for me to not do something about it. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Right?

:j_k: :j_k: :j_k: No not you, him! Hopefully you can stop him before he does to much damage!

Tell him to go check out the ausable where they actually place logs and such in the river for shelter for the fish. On second thought don't. He would probably want to remove them so canues can get threw easier! :wallbash: :wallbash:

BFR

R.A.P. 1-800-292-7800

Warn them about the proposed, future "stream improvement". Tell them you expect to be contacted by an officer to discuss this and you will be following up with a call to check the progress and outcome. If it is the river I think it is, and you catch him while down there with a saw while you are there, call me at 616-866-4411. Ask for Don. Unfortunately, After tonight, I won't be back to work til Monday.

Here in MI you have the right to legally trim any tree that is BLOCKING the travel of a canoe/boat. If he is removing trees that are not blocking or impeeding the movement of a watercraft then he should not be doing that. Personally I would tell him if I see him doing it again I am gonna do some "trimming" of my own with his chainsaw :devil: but thats just me ;)

I would report him to the DNR, make all of the guides(if any)& fly shops in the area aware of this idiot, as well as any TU or water improvment councils that may be in the area.

Some people are just to stupid to co-exist with us. I have a hole on the PM I fish all the time that has a big log at the head of it, I cant tell you how many times someone with me hs said "man I wish that log wasnt there"...my reply to them is always "if it wasent there then we wouldnt be fishing here".

That guy you meet sounds like a real winner :rolleyes: ......yet another reason I say It's time to thin the herd ;)

That guy you meet sounds like a real winner :rolleyes: ......yet another reason I say It's time to thin the herd ;)

:yahoo: Finally someone that agrees with me! :devil: One tactic I have used while fishing to get others out of my spots though is to shout real loudly....."The trailer park is on fire" try it sometime and watch the place clear out

Click here, it explains a "riparian zone" in trout waters. The Rogue is a stocked river, I'm sure they would be more than interested in somebody destroying the riparian zone. He isn't trimming branches for boat travel, it sounds like he is completely removeing habitat. Also, last I knew, it was unlawful to alter the water flow. Did the Rogue ever recieve "blue ribbon" status? Guess i can hun that down.

http://michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10364---,00.html

shout real loudly....."The trailer park is on fire" try it sometime and watch the place clear out

:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

Half my family just left!

BFR

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this