Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SmallieKiller

Dropper fly...

OK, so I was reading up on the dropper flies and how to attach them, which is easy enough. I'm headed up to the tribs in Erie tomorrow to get in a little early season steel action. Now I know I'm looking at some low and clear conditions, unless it rains tonight, which it may (crosses fingers). Now if I do end up with low and clear, does anyone have a recomendation for a dropper fly?

Supposedly the majority of the fish caught now are on minnows and single eggs, so I was going to rock the white bugger with a yellowish glo bug. Anyone else have any bright ideas?

Thanks in advance.

SK

Chris,

Honestly I haven't heard many people talking about using droppers. I have heard or read of a few people who have tried it but I can't remember what they said they used. I would guess almost any nymph/egg combo would do the trick. :dunno:

from what I have read on other boards, the erie, PA steel have been liking white or pink sucker spawn. I think i would start with that.

Joe

Lol, the creeks were low and clear. It was like fishing in a bathtub. I hooked into 3 in a few hours. All three snapped me off. I was using a Seaguar Grand Max 4x tippet and I guess I must've got a dry rotted spool. That really killed the fun of my day.

Fish one of the moring looked about 30-32 inches and I'd probably guess 10 lbs or so. He crushed a Theo's Beaded Bomber, then proceded to crush my leader....

Still good to get out though.