Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dafack01

Which species? Trout or Bass?

So which is "better"? I really don't think either one is better. Trout can be harder to catch and require more knowledge, skill, observation, and attention to detail. Bass, on the other hand, are just plain fun to catch. Especially smallmouth. They'll destroy a topwater lure/fly, crush baitfish patterns, and fight as hard as anything in freshwater (though neither has the endurance of a carp). Get a good one in the current, and it'll fight even better because of that big, broad body. Trout have more "reward" and bass have more "entertainment value".

To muddy things up, Bass can act like trout, selectively sipping mayflies and other dries. Trout, on the other hand can act like bass, annihilating baitfish immitations and mouse flies. ESPECIALLY the big browns.

So which one? Me, it depends on the mood I'm in. I love both. I'm not a good person to ask. B)

I'd LOVE to catch some steelhead! I've got a giant list of fish I must catch (muskie, salmon, steelhead, striper, Amazon Peacock bass, tarpon, bonefish, tuna, ...)

Steel for me to!! I had my first smallie on fly today that was sweet!!! trout ehh well they tend to run on the small side around here and even a 1 pound fish is well it isnt anything like the 1 pound smalie I got today.

I would have to go with Trout because in my experience they take more skill to catch and i am more of a coldwater guy. Also while smallies fight awesome i find the fight of a largemouth really overated. Never found a trout that doesn't fight well.

I would have to say Trout without a second thought.

I have to say however that I have caught several species of warm water fish with Smallmouth Bass included. The only warm water fish that I have never caught, on the Fly, has been a Walleye. But the Sweet Smell of the Mad River makes a Big Difference to me. I use to fish the Great Miami and Stillwater Rivers but once I got my nose near the Mad that was all she wrote.

SMALLMOUTH BASS !! I like fishing when it's blazing hot outside, wet wading in sandals and shorts. Bass also have a convienent mouth that acts like a handle so you don't need to bring a net.

Even between river smallies and river trout! As long as the water is moving. I still like lake fishing, but prefer standing in a river!

BFR