Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flyguy13

just a simple question maybe

how do i spin rabbit fur? I want to make a sparse collar of red rabbit fur on a zonker pattern kind of like hackle. any input would great.

Thanks

mike

Mike,

I have not used it but I have read that the "MP Magic Tool" is awesome for stuff like that. You could probably just use a regular clip and insert the hair into a dubbing loop that way.

Dubbing loop for sure Flyguy13 ...

I use UTC thread a lot in my tying. It is a great thread to use for a split thread loop. Simply take the tip of your bodkin ... separate the thread and insert the fur. Spin and you are good to go ....

Hope this helps

Dale

Here are some sites where the tie is using a dubbing loop. One of them shows how to use a clip. There is also a great explanation on how to do this in the Flytiers Benchside Reference if you have access to a copy.

http://www.mustad.no/action/flyofthemonth/...of_m_may01.html

http://www.jerrysflyfishingtips.com/May_Fly_Month.htm

http://www.akflyfishers.com/fom_casual_dress.html

I agree with the dubbing loop suggestion, if it's only a collar grab the hair between your fingers(on the same hand like closed scissors) and cut the hair off the skin. Then place it inside the loop and close the loop, before you spin it you can push it up and down to distribute it. Then just spin and wind.

you could even just tie in a red rabbit strip and wrap it a turn or to.

If you do this, make sure that it's a cross-cut rabbit strip.

any strip will work . You can also tie a small strips on the sides and bottom of the shank.

you could even just tie in a red rabbit strip and wrap it a turn or to.

If you do this, make sure that it's a cross-cut rabbit strip.

any strip will work . You can also tie a small strips on the sides and bottom of the shank.

Any strip will not work if you want the hair fibers to lay back correctly towards the back of the fly. If this isn't the desired effect (I assumed that it was), then any old thing will do. But if it is the desired effect, then you need crosscut rabbit.

Any strip will not work if you want the hair fibers to lay back correctly towards the back of the fly. If this isn't the desired effect (I assumed that it was), then any old thing will do. But if it is the desired effect, then you need crosscut rabbit.

I agree, but you can almost get the same effect by just slightly overwrapping the strips as you bring them forward (an emergency measure when there's no cross-cut available).

Aaron