Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bob C

Material storage

My biggest headache is storing my material in a semi-orderly fashion. What are you guys doing for tying cabinets/bags. I wouldn't mind building one. If I were to buy something my budget tops out around 100 bucks. I've seen some nice commercially available ones but they tend to go for big $$$$.

Regards, Bob

Thanks Swamphunter! I am considering that as an option, I might also buy a sheet of 1/4" ply and cut it into little pieces and attempt to glue into some sort of box.

Bob

In zip lock bags hung on pegboard is the way to go for me. Keeps them stored as well as ready to use and easy to see. I got tired of diggin through drawers looking for material.

IPB Image

I use a computer desk that I got from Best Buy a few years ago. It has all sorts of shelves and slideouts, and spaces for those three drawer containers mentioned earlier in this thread.

Good question!

Bob - I am also a fan of Rubbermaid/Tupperware (or generic) plastic boxes. Flytire has a nice setup in his picture; much neater than what has evolved at my bench. I toss a couple of aromatic cedar balls in with the hackle to keep bugs down. I use smaller versions when I travel and expect to do some tying in the evenings; makes it easier to stuff in your DITY bag and move in a single lift.

One thing to remember, irregardless of storage container. The purpose of the container (this goes for food as well as fly materials) is to get the bugs kept in one place and not into everything.

That said, most of my materials are either in gallon glass pickle bottles or in Rubbermaid boxes. Under glass, I add mothballs (yes, they stink up the materials and my wife complains justifiably when I open them. The materials stink too.) In the Rubbermaids, I enclose my materials in Ziplock brand bags or similar, with mothballs added or with shredded tobacco from cigarettes (a trick I learned from Mike Martinek). Both smell and I don't imagine fish find either attractive, but I suppose the smell wears off since I still catch the occasional fish. I use the tobacco on my most valuable materials like jungle cock.

This summer I had a bucktail bag within a box which I forgot to treat. By September when I opened it, it was crawling with moths and eaten up. Don't make the same mistake. Such mistakes are expensive and disgusting.

currently i am just keeping my materials in thier original zip loc bags in labelled cigar boxes, rubbermaid boxes and the organizers with small drawers

I have a mix! Rubbermaid containers for deerhair and various other furs. Zip locks for feathers, hung on a peg board!

BFR

My storeage looks just like flytire's. Use lots of those boxes right now. Hopefully soonly it will look more like steeldrifters.

I also put cedar balls or blocks in my boxes with my materials. Supposedly it will help keep the critters out of your stuff. I havent had any bugs in my boxes, so it must work. Just something to ponder.