Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
burninbriar

Muskrat pelt

I found a bunch of muskrat pelts in the barn from my trapping days of about 35 years ago. They are in great shape, especially since they have been in the barn for who knows how long. I did a search in the fly data base and came up with 4 flys all useing the muscrat for dubbing. The pelts have hair about 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" in length that looks like it should be good for something, I just dont know what. Any sugjestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to give it a try on the springs wiglers I've been working on while I wait for a responce to this post.

Also , when I was combing out the squirl tail I have been saveing the fuzz. Would this make good dubbing ?

Shave the pelts and use them for dubbing. It is some of the easiet hair to work with. You can also use it as a fur collar by puttting it in a dubbing loop. The squirrel hair also makes a nice dubbing.

Muskrat is one of the finest furs for dubbing. It is a natural grey for an addams. It floats like crazy. How well are the pelts tanned? You might be able to make some zonker strips. Squirel is a long spikey dubbing great stuff.

I shaved just enough to get enough hair for a springs wigler and ended up with a gagle of dubbing fur. The springs wigler came out real nice, I think my best one yet.

Is there a time when muskrat dubbing would be better than rabbit. I guess what I'm driveing at is are there specific aplications for muskrat , Dry fly ? nymph ? I'm very new to tying so I hope these questions arent too dumb.

Joe hard :

The pelts are tanned very nice, very plyable but I'm not familiar with zonker strips. From what I've read about zonker strips I would say the pelts would work good.

Briar,

muskrat is fantastic dubbing. Adams for sure, but any slate gray bodies can and should be made from that. I also like to use the reddish brown guard hairs for tailing material particularly on the Adams. I use it for the body of my #1 go to fly the Blue Dun. It's also great for a number of mayfly nymphs and looks primarily "buggy" when the guard hairs are left in.

you can get like a million flies out of just one pelt. if you'd like to spread the wealth, I'd be interested in a patch of it.

email me: [email protected]

maybe we can make a trade. it is duck season after all.

let me know

Justin

Muskrat is USELESS better send them to me :hyst: :hyst: .

No it's great stuff all good suggestions

If you're really adventurous, you might even want to try bleaching/dyeing some of your pelts.

Some friends of mine did that a few years ago. They got some muskrat pelts, meticulously plucked the guard hairs out, bleached them with a commercial hair-bleaching chemical, and dyed them all the shades necessary to match our area's local mayfly hatches.

It took a long time and a lot of sweat, but the results were spectacular! For years now, those of us who were in on the exercise have been tying mayfly imitations with tight, clean, high-floating bodies.

Of course, the poor guy who shredded his fingertips pulling all those guard hairs might not think it was quite as worthwhile... :blink:

A little terminology question, when people referr to guard hair, are those the longer hairs as opposed to the fur underneith ? It is the longer hairs that I used for the springs wiggler made from the muskrat.

Yes, the guard hairs are the longer, coarser hairs that stick out from the soft underfur. The underfur is what you would want to use for dry-fly dubbing.

Great stuff to tie with. I do have only one concern though and that's that they've been in the barn for many years. You might be better off taking one skin and if they were only dried scrape the inner membrance off and then wash it with a good shampoo and then conditioner, tack in skin side up on a board and borax it to re-dry it.

YOU DON"T WANT TO TAKE A CHANCE THERES ANY BUGS OR EGGS ON THE SKINS TO INFECT YOUR OTHER MATERIALS. KEEP IT SEPARATE.

I know don't yell but better to make the point then you losing alot of stuff.

Fatman