Fly Tying
boba

Platform or C-clamp?

This post was stimulated by the vigorous response to the poll on vise choices.

One thing I don't get, irregardless of vise model is the fascination with pedestal models. I much prefer a C-clamp. It just doesn't move, and my shoulders and back couldn't survive without the ability to adjust height to the tying surface. Do you all tie on the same height surface?

Since I tie on my mother-in-law's picnic table, dining room table and kitchen table on Cape Cod, my cabin's kitchen table or adjustable table in Maine, tying desk at home, and parents' tray table in Albany (all mentioned are different heights), there is no way I could tie without height adjustablility. (Admittedly, I carry a small portable, home-made tying surfaces for those instaces where the tying surface like the picnic table is too thick to accommodate the C-clamp.) I have back problems and shoulder problems (both with rotator cuff issues), and if I couldn't adjust the vise height, I probably wouldn't be able to tie.

Why the preference for pedestals?

My vice was a christmass preasent so I had no choice in the matter. Haveing said that , I can see how the pedestal could come in handy where as you can use it virtually any where, on the ground at river side if needed. I have seen a lot of tables that will not accept a clamp, for instance a lot of motel desks dont have an over hanging lip. I am also in poor health and the advice I am going to use is to get an adjustable hight chair.

My Renzetti is a pedestal model but that is my stay at home vice. I have an AA vice that I have set up to be able to use with both C-clamp and pedestal that I use whenever I travel. The pedestal does not bother me when I change tables except I can't tie on the coffee table because it is too low for anything unless I had about a 2 ft extention.

Some like to have the vise "deep" on a table. I have a pedestal and like the freedom to be able to move it without having to loosen anything. On the contrary, whats better about a c-clamp, unlsess you really use a LOT of pressure when you tie?

~James

I like to have the vise jaws at eye level. I use a c clamp as my vice is built into my desk. I am going to move soon so everthing is going to be differnt. It always is. I think I am going to try to get a bigfoot base as other members here have told me. The freedom of being able to move the vice is what appeals to me. I like the option of being able to look at the fly from angles that even a rotary vice cant provide. A base mount will also alow you to tie anywhere. I am also thinking a New vice with bowth options. I like having more than one fly on the go.

C-clamps are more stable for sure but I like the portability of my pedestal vice. I seem to end up in too many places thay I have no place to mount a C-clamp vice.

I'm with fishinlk on this one. I have two pedestal vices and it is not unusual for me to use them at the same time. If I need to let a fly dry then I just move the vice out of the way and continue tying on the other vice.

My travel (an HMH) vise is a pedestal and I like it because I can always find a flat surface to put it on. I had a c-clamp vise and sometimes I couldn't clamp it on a table that was too thick, or too nice to risk damaging the surface. My bench vise is neither c-clamp or pedestal, it is a Nor-Vise which bolts on to the desk. I didn't choose the N-V for that reason, I chose it for it's other features. It just happens to bolt to the desk.

I think the need to have a vice rigidly fixed to a surface is over-rated. Many tyers believe that when spinning deer hair, they need to torque it with the fly tying equivalent of rope. Not so, I attended a tying seminar with Dave Whitlock and he spun hair with 8/0 thread. I spin deer hair with 6/0 thread myself, I admit that I don't do it very often, but it is possible.

My Voyager 2 came with both the C-Clamp and pedestal. I can't find the C-clamp so I guess I prefer the pedestal. Seriously... the C-clamp is by my tying bench but I prefer the pedestal.

Mike

I used a c clamp vise I got from the Darbees for years. I thought that I wanted a pedestal. What a mistake. I bought a Renzetti Traveler Cam. I can not get them to make good on the warrantee. I can't get them to return emails or letters. I like the pedestal since I can tie on any table. I would caution you about buying a Renzetti. They have several parts that are planned to fail.

Anyone on here have a contact at Renzetti please let me know.

i have two dan vises both with bases. i tie only fully dressed atlantics and this works out well for me because of the amount of materials involved. i can move or slide the vise aside while preparing materials.

the biggest advantage i've found was tying on tiny materials that take precise handling and placement . i get more control of my movements when my elbows are on the table.

Bud

I have had my Traveler for 15 plus years. I put new cam jaws on when they became available for left handers. I have had a couple of problems in 15 years. I tie alot and that comes down to a problem once every 7+ years. Each time I have called or emailed Lily at Renzetti, and gotten prompt and MOST fair results.

As for c-clamp or pedistal; it's a pedistal.

I like to set the vise back a bit so I can rest my arms on the table for fine work. If you watch me try to hold my hands steady you'll understand. The base mounts give you more options. Plus, I have never had any stability problem and I tie mostly bass and salt stuff.

Both! I like to use the C Clamp when I can. It gives me more control with the level of the vise. I can get it into my comfort zone. I've found the pedistal neccesary when doing tying demos, classes, seminars or while traveling because I've run into too many places where the C Clamp would not work.