Fly Tying
boba

Platform or C-clamp?

I use the pedastal at home because I built my desk so that it is at the correct height. When I travel to seminars and teach classes I use the C-Clamp, but carry the pedastal as a back up.

Good Day,

I travel a bit and do classes as well. Therefore i prefer a pedestal as you never know what the thickness of the table you are to tie on will be. I have even been to a few fly shows where the only feasable option was a pedestal as the tables were too thick or the the metal under fram got in the way. The poor guys with only c-clamps had a real rough time of it.

Steelie

I have a renzetti c-clamp that yI use for tying, but I want a pedestal base as well for all of the situations mentioned above, I don't want to pay outrageous prices though. Any good ideas on where to get a good base at a decent price.

Put me in the C-clamp camp. I've never used a pedistal on any of the vices i've used and don't feel I'm missing much.

My Dyna King vise came with a C-clamp but a few years ago I bought a nice marble pedestal and I haven’t used the clamp since.

Graham

troutboy365, go to ebay and search for Big Foot vise base. $19.00 and it is heavy and nicely made and the product came as advertised.

MrBones

I have had my Renzetti for over 10-12 years now and I switched to a "Bigfoot" base I bought off ebay a couple years ago and will never use anything else. The Bigfoot base weighs 6lbs so you dont have to worry about it not being steady.

So my awnser is pedestal for sure. I used the c-clamp for years but got tired of not being able to find a place to mount it in motel rooms on trips, or on tables at camp. Plus having to always work on the edge of the table is a pain in the ass to me, which I never even realized till I stopped doing it. I kept the long stem on my vise rather than cutting it down as they suggest when you make a c-clamp into a pedestal which makes my back much happier when I tie as well.

SD

Like SD, I use a pedestal for my traveling kit. Can be tough finding a place to clamp on in some hotel rooms, and then have to move every light in the room to get enough illumination to see what's going on. I also use a pedestal on a dyna-king at the house, but am thinking of trying a c-clamp for the home vise, need to change positions and height sometimes; old backs are not particularly accommodating.

I have an HMH Saprtan and I bought it with the pedestal bacuse I tie on a rollm top desk with a drawer.There is absolutely no way to use a C-clamp there. However I also tie at my kitchen table and on those fold up wooden tv-tables occasionally. Now that will kill your back I tell ya! Fortunately I only tie 2 or 3 flies at once. My last vise was a c-clamp but I would rather have the pedestal anyday.