Fly Tying
Gregg A

Useless Gadgets

I cut the thread making sure there is no other strands hanging out then stick it partly in the hole, then suck through the other end, feed it in a little as you do it if nothing comes out.

Might sound a little nasty but ya get what I mean...

MUST.....RESIST......RUDE COMMENT :hyst: .....actually thats the same way I do it, never have had a need for a threader yet :dunno:

Now that I think about it there is one thing that I bought that I found useless (to me at least), and that was a material basket that attached to the vise stem. It just got in my way all the time :angry:

I cut the thread making sure there is no other strands hanging out then stick it partly in the hole, then suck through the other end, feed it in a little as you do it if nothing comes out.

Might sound a little nasty but ya get what I mean...

MUST.....RESIST......RUDE COMMENT :hyst: .....actually thats the same way I do it, never have had a need for a threader yet :dunno:

Now that I think about it there i one thing that I bought that I found useless (to me at least), and that was a material basket that attached to the vise stem. It just got in my way all the time :angry:

I was thinkin of you bud when I wrote that last comment haha :hyst:

2 useless things.

1. Bobbin rest ( still have not gotten the hang of using it)

2. Minnow trap for bait fishing ( never have caught enough bait with it to use)

The only tool i use that doesn't work as well as i would like is my dubbing rake. My whipfinisher is a dream hated it at first rear with no one to teach me how to use it and the lack of decent diagrams/ instructions that i found at the time. using my fingers to finish a fly i'm lost half the time i do it wrong with my fingers. Personally i use a bobbin threader.

My most useless tool is the whip finisher, now that i know how to whip finish by hand i never lose them in the clutter on the desk, they are more versatile too.

Another tool that looked great, but i just can't quite figure out is a CDC tool. Some how you're supposed to wrap the cdc arround it and make a wing, but all i make is a mess.

Bobbin threaders are another waste tool.

The most useless tools I have are my hands. I have not figured out how to use them! they just seem to get in the way!

My hair packer is another. I have an easier time without it!

BFR

well my bobbin threader came with the tool kit so i cant really count it.

the only thing that i really wanted that turned out to be useless was the magic tool. I tried it a few times last year and stuffed it in a drawer, maybe i will give it another shot this year.

I got 1 too.

Uve seen em all those plastic botlles with a fine thin steel tube for varnish/headcement.

Don't buy em,after u use em the varnish dries in the tube.

Whipfinisher i always use, no one ever showed me how to do it without, i guess i'm the only one that can't do a whipfinish by hand :dunno: .

Klaas

I got 1 too.

Uve seen em all those plastic bottles with a fine thin steel tube for varnish/headcement.

Whipfinisher i always use, no one ever showed me how to do it without, i guess im the only one that can't do a whipfinish by hand

Actually Bass Pro sells a bottle that has a fine wire in the cap that effectively cleans out the varnish or head cement everytime you cap the bottle. They work great except for water based materials. I tried one with Loon water based head cement and it rusted the cap and tube. but for other head cements they have worked great.

I got 1 too.

Uve seen em all those plastic botlles with a fine thin steel tube for varnish/headcement.

Whipfinisher i always use, no one ever showed me how to do it without, i guess im the only one that can't do a whipfinish by hand

Actually Bass Pro sells a bottle that has a fine wire in the cap that effectively cleans out the varnish or head cement everytime you cap the bottle. They work great except for water based materials. I tried one with Loon water based head cement and it rusted the cap and tube. but for other head cements they have worked great.

I have that bottle with the fine wire the in the cap and it works like a charm for me. I've had glue in if for two years and never had a clog up. Occationally, a little thinner keeps the glue flowing if it starts to get too thick. I don't use a lot of head cement as I don't usually cement my own flies, but I do glue flies I'm making for other people and I glue my dry flies. I've had to add thinner once in the last year to the glue and that's about it.

Whip finishers are the number one waste of money on my list. Then threaders...

Well I will agree on the little cement bottles i LOVE em!!! and yes I have had problems with the glue drying up but whatever the bottle are only like 3 buck each!!!

Whip finisher dont use it just use fingers instead, might not be doing it right but oh well it works and besides i cement all my heads.

bobbin threader dont use em the ole feed an suck LOL works for me!!! roflol!!!!

And finally Hackle pliers i dont use either i find the hackle just breaks when i use em better lucks with fingers. Although having said that they can be useful when the thread breaks mid tie.