Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chrislorne

moira river salmon , help !!!

anyone in the Quinte area, I'm asking your help on what I should tie for Chinook as this is my first year at them, I spent last weekend boucing eggsucking leeches, estaz bugs, glo bugs, mickey finns, etc. off the noses of chinook for a half hour at a time and hardly a bite :unsure:

Egg sucking leeches tied with a chartruse egg killed em on the Ganni for me, try some of my rainbow trout streamer it worked well to. Here's the link... www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?act=flyshow&&showid=2099

Good luck

Paul

Hey Chris,

If the salmon in the Moira aren't liking what you're drifting past them...try downsizing your flies and / or using lighter tippet material. Also, make sure the fish you are drifting to aren't spooked. I know how it can get at the Lott Dam in Belleville. I've seen plenty of blatant snaggers at times harassing the fish. Finding some fish which aren't spooked can make a big difference.

By the way, there are plenty of salmon and a few rainbows at the #1 dam at the Trent as well. Could prove to be more productive than the Moira at times.

Good luck!

Nick

Like Nick said downsize they have been terrorized the last few weeks.

Trent River #1 Dam area is about the same, Salmon are in as well as a few Bows they are slow going as well. 3 of us fish for 5 hrs on Monday as well as another fisherman that showed up a couple of hours later. 2 left and 2 stayed to fish for the day. Final count 1 Salmon and 1 bow.

Just below 401, Parking lot across from McCurdy Motors.

Go across the lock to the east side and go to the lower section.

20 -30 feet past handrail a set of steps go up go to the south and follow trail can't miss it.

Good luck, might go there after work myself today.

Thanks ! I'm going to try for Sunday morning, I have to fix my wifes car on saturday and pack up a bit more for the move into a new apartment next week. So if anyone here is an early riser, you might see me sunday morning.

were any of you out there today?? I seen two people fly fishing, I was walking around with my wife and son enjoying the nature, my son got to see a big garter snake close up. looks like a nice spot there!! nice and quiet too.

I was at the Trent at about 4:00pm. a few salmon around but that was all I seen. I was past the ruins and out on the first land bar. Was that you with the dog Beau.

"Was that you with the dog Beau"

nope, I was there alot earlier. I didn't manage to get out there today, was kinda tired so I just fished the moira again. I left around 50 minutes ago after a big salmon swam up, layed across my feet and died. :blink: I nudged him off to see if he was okay, he rolled over and floated away. :(

Although the main point to my fishing day today was to see if my waders were good after fixing them.

Try something blue. Like a mid-blue, Blue Jays blue, Labatt's Blue blue. On a size 8 hook. I don't know why but ....