Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bud Guidry

Altered States

Beautiful Bud! Is this the one you tied while at bowhunting camp?

Question, on the front 2 sections, you used 2 different ribs. Are you just tying them both in at the same time? If so, do you tie them in at different areas along the circumferance of the shank or do you just hold the 2 together and tie them in, did that make sense?

:bugeyes: :bugeyes: :bugeyes: :bugeyes: :bugeyes: !

I'll comment on this fly as soon as I scrape my jaw up off the floor and mop up the puddle of drool!

If the flow, proportion, complexity and chromatic intensity of your flies isn't already the stuff of legend, it will be soon!

WOW!

i complete one body section at a time alex. the gold rib you see is tied in with the two silvers that will border it then i tie in the other silver that will run between the rib. all tied inone at a time using one wrap of thread to hold them inplace until they're all tied in, i then make wraps of thread forward to secure the tensils and continue with the thread forward to tie in the silk and lay it down first going rearward then back forward. burnish it then i move forward with the four tensils one at a time beginning with the flat gold. the two that would border them then center , one at a time. once i get to the area i began tying the silk i tie off then cut off all the extras hanging there. tie in the butt then move on to the next body section done in the same manner as the last.

let me know if you understand this. if not i will PM you to explain

Bud

Gotcha, but I don't think I would have gunderstood if I hadn't read your, "Tying the Woody" how-to.

You ever try tying in 4 wings at each joint instead of 2? Say you were looking at the shank from in front of the eye, right now you're tying each wing in at 0*, and 180*, now add 2 more, one at 90* and another at 270*. Not to say this isn't simply incredible, just curious how it would look

yes i have thought about it and you'll see one in the future. infact someone came here and mentioned this to me a week ago. i had began this fly before i left for camp and completed it this mourning.

thanks for the kind words guys

Bud

:dunno: Im trying to think of the appropriate comment, Bud...but...it just wont come out!

Holey Moley! Its a stunner! You should be doin brain surgery! (with Japanese silk!)

Dave

Love the colors!

I said holy :poop:

Melissa come look at this......

Melissa comes in over my shoulder, HOLY WOW!!!!

That's one spectacular fly Bud, don't think you could raise the bar any higher, or could you? I dare ya I dare ya!! LOL!

Great Stuff.

I'm adding my WOW to all the previous and future.

The married wings are incredible. The finished tips appear to be painted they are so perfect. I'm always amazed at your colors ... do you dye turkey/goose yourself?

Royce

:bugeyes: :bugeyes: :bugeyes:

:blink: :blink: :blink:

:headbang: :headbang:

Certainly altered my state!

Happy but now depressed Trails!

Ronn

Sign in to follow this