Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Crotalus

Desk top container

In AK Best's Advanced Fly Tying one of his tips is to melt your dubbing wax into a dish and glue it to your desktop. I liked that i dea all except gluing it to my desk. I have been looking for a stable dish that i could use without attaching it to my desk.

Last night as i was cleaning and organizing i cam across some of my wife's empty candle jars that we had saved for some reason. As i was looking at them i took off one of the lids and it dawned on me, flip the lid over.... it is heavy glass, stable and has a "dish" in it when inverted. I cut off the plastic "flange" that holds it into the jar and promply melted me dubbing wax into it.

The other one will be used for beads or hooks while i am tying as the bottoms are rounded and it will be very easy to pull them out.

I will post a picture or two if anyone wants to see them.

Why would he want to melt his wax? Unless your doing a lot of production tying maybe. Wouldnt it dry out over time? Probably need a lid. Post a pic and lets take a look. I'm always open to better ideas.

according to AK you melt it into the dish, then allow to harden, after that you only have to rub you fingers across it real quick before dubbing rather than getting the wax stick out, uncapping it using the wax, recapping and putting it down again

A k is a production tyer and probally ties lots of flies in a day. I think the melted wax would go bad and dry up. if you can put a sealed lid on it would work....

Just think of all the crap that is going to adhere to the wax, dust and fine clippings are hard enough to clean up. These things will end up in your dubbing, and on your floss ect. I like the idea of it being permanet on your bench but being closed would save you future headaches.

Well disregarding the merits of desktop wax here is the pictures of the lid.

I have a 2 more that i will be using to hold beads and hooks while tying.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

That will work nice for beads and hools. I also use magnets for my hooks.

Sign in to follow this