Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SDHflyfisher

trout trips

oh geez, i'll just give the recipe in a nutshell of the better of the patterns that i use (since i don't have a digi cam):

Body (extended): Deer Body Hair (I have used both natural and dyed olive)

Tail: 2 Moose mane hairs

Wing: Split Deer Body Hair Wings

Thorax: Base of high-vis or poly white or off white (used in figure eighting the wings apart)

Thorax Hackle: Girzzly hackle palmered for 3 wraps behind and in front of the wings.

Hope this gives ya a general idea.

steve

I usually tie on a 6.... though i have been known to tie on a 4 and an 8 also....

steve

Big fish, big bugs equals big flies, lol. The only bad thing about these flies as they are only truly good for the hex limbata hatches, as they are the granddaddy of the mayflies and the flies are just too big to emulate any of the others.

steve

Oh, i should note that most of my friends tie them on an 8.... they have a longer body extension than I do. I tie on a 6 because i like the bigger gap in the hook. I end up with a shorter extension. I guess its all in preference really. Either way you look at it, they are big bugs.

steve

Will keep an eye on this thread as I seem to have some time off in June, July, and August.... Gotta love being a teacher smile.gif

If I can get the time off from work(if i have a job then) I would like to attend. Will have to wait til the time is sooner. Always fun fishing with you guys

I posted a pattern for an extended body mayfly I tie in a size 4 for the hex. I mainly use that one when there's still a little light on the water or if hunting slackwater areas in the afternoon and need something a little more realistic. After dark I tend to use a packed deer hair fly clipped very close with a hen wing and hackle. Floats like a cork(important for night fishing ph34r.gif ) My other hexes are all tied on sz 4 or 6 2x ongs

Sign in to follow this