Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DaUP

marabou

how do you palmer marabou :help: tryed to figure it out but still having trouble

that is what its called when you make a collar with it right?? :dunno:

Making a collar is diferent from palmering. Palmering means winding the hackle all over the length of the shank. Making a collar means that you make two or three turns of hackle right behind the eye of the hook. Both can be achieved by using the same technique. Ty in de marabou hackle by the tip and wind the feather round the hook stroking the fibers backwards in eacht turn so they don't get trapped with the next turn. That's basically all.

Good luck in trying!

Sjo :)

DaUP :

Have you watched the vidio tutorials in the pinned toppics at the top of this page ? They are pretty informative , and best of all, free. My motto is if its free, its for me.

Marabou can be palmerd by ataching by the tip or the but of the feather. It can be wraped tight or by leaving spaces between wraps. As you have mentioned, a collar, is just wrapped at the eye of the hook as mentioned. Palmer wrapped is wrapped along the shank. I dont know what type of look you are looking for but wrapping the whole feather will give you a bulky/ bushy look and striping one side of the feather will give you a sparser look. If you are going to wrap more than one feather, wet down the first one and stroke it rearward. this will keep the two feathers from tangling with one another.