Fly Tying
tws

hook choices...

Fly tiers...

I'm gearing up to tie a few steelhead flies (nymphs) in sizes 6, 8, 10, and prehaps 12's

I've not tied steelhead flies before, hence a novice who wishes to use these on my local river the rogue.

pheasant tail nymphs

prince nymphs

copper johns

and otis bugs

my question regards hook, style and brand.

i've found mustad (so far) to be the most reasonable per the hundred @ hook&hackle

so my question is what mustad version would best suit the patterns i wish to tie?

3906b (1x long) tde standard heavy sizes 4 to 18 per100 $8.55

3906 tde standard heavy sizes 4 to 18 per100 $7.40

3399 tde standard sizes 2 to 16 per100 $4.15

conversely, what other brand might be comparable and close in price?

If anyone has dealt with this hook selection process for these type patterns I would very much appreciate your input. especially if you know another outlet with a good price on hooks.

thanks!

tws <_<

I am not sure of the prices but Diachii makes great hooks, so does Temico. I have not tried them so I can not tell you how they are but Targus boasts to have cheap good quality hooks and so does Cabellas

I'm pretty sure the Cabela's brand hooks are Tiemco. I've been ordering those when I can't get to or can't find what I'm looking for at the local shops.

Mike

You will not find hooks any cheaper than the mustads.

They will work fine . The 3399 or the 3906 are you two best choices for what you are doing .

You might want to try some dai-riki hooks also, they cost a little under $6.00 for 50 . A little bit better hook. I use mustad and dai-riki both. You might want to tie up some nymps on a curved scud hook 135 dai-riki

hope this helps

Fcflyguy :D

I use the 3906B's in size 12,14 and 16's for the patterns you listed.

I've picked up 1,000 packs in size 6-16 on eBay for around $50.00 per 1,000. Some were $35.00 per $1,000.

All depends on how crazy the bidding gets, but still a steal at $50 per 1,000.

I use the size 6's & 8's for Springs Wigglers.

Price wise you can't beat Mustads for a good hook. I use them for most of my tying.

Brent

After tying for 30 + years with differant brands, I haven't found really that much better than the other. most hooks nowadays are very close in size and strength. Use whatever you feel comfortable with, and afford..

Thanks everyone for your excellent suggestions...

i've had a look at cabela's and they always offer a realistic price.

will check on the targus hooks...

just got some dai-riki (50 per) hooks today at my local fly shop.

i've used mustad hooks in the past and had good luck with them.

thanks again for this fine forum.

tws :)

For the nymphs (pheasant tail and prince) I would use Tiemco 3761 or Partridge Grey shadow Stronghold nymph hooks.

Try here for Daiichi's Canadian Llama

I just tied up some Montana Stone's on 1150's (curved sedge) and they look awsome. The curved hooks give a different look to nymphs that may be advantageous on pressured fish.

I also use a lot of Mustad 3399A (smaller eye than the 3399's) and I bend the point to make it slightly offset. It seems to help with hooking.