Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dhchin

ultrawire

I have been tying up some midges this week and have been just using my fingers to wind on the wire. However, I feel I would have better control if I used a bobbin. I haven't tried it, but I was wondering if any of you use a bobbin to apply it to the hook?

Thanks

do you have rotary vice? If so just hold it at an angle to the hook and roate the vice. A bobbin might work, some of the wire I have will try and unwind off the spool when nothing is holding tension on it, not sure about ultra wire. If you do use a bobbin, use one that is just for wire, since wire might cause wear/burrs on the bobbin tube which could cause problems if you ever used it for thread in the future

I've seen people use a bobbin efficiently but I just never developed a knack for it. :dunno: Like OLB said, the wire will loosen up on the bobbin and make a mess. I found this happened even when I was religious about folding over the loose end and trying to maintain tension. I may wast a bit of wire by cutting off what I need but it works much better for me.

-Bamboo

I do use a bobbin with the fine wire. I find that I can really butt it up to the previous wrap better than when I do it by hand. I just use a cheap bobbin and it works great.

I agree. I use a rotary vise to do the wrapping, and a bobbin instead of my fat meat hooks so that I can make tighter wraps.