Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

Some pics of my tying room

IPB Image Here is the first pic, it is the left side of my tying room. You can see my gun/book cabinet to the left. Then is my tying counter, it's 12' long and about 30" deep. I hung a couple shelfs to display some stuff, right now theres one of Graham's realstic mayflies, one of Bud's full dressed salmon flys, and in the shadow box that has 12 windows is one of Troutbum's full dressed flys.

You can see some capitol leters here and there, they are:

A--My material detox--a large sealed tupperware container with a crapload of mothball crystals in it. All new materials go into the freezer for a couple days, then they sit in this container, on a paper towel above the moth ball crystals for a few days.

B--In a few months there will be a small aquarium here where I will have some aquatic insects hanging out

C--this is one of those drawer things you get a wal mart for $10. I'm using it mostly for sythetic stuff, and beads, dumbell ees, etc.

D--I mounted this to the counter top so all the materials I cut off fall into it and not on the floor. Just gotta dump it out when it starts getting full

Right now I'm just using a stool to sit on, plans are to upgrade to something with better back support. I am putting the materials I use most on the peg board. All other feather materials go into zip locks, which I put into big labeled tupperware containers that I have in the cupboards.

IPB Image

In the second pic you can see the other side of the room. Here I've got my rodbuilding wrapper, and my fly photo booth, and of course my computer so I can keep tabs on new posts while I am tying B) Gonna hang a couple smaller shelves over there then hang pics of my favorite fishing spots, fish, etc.

IPB Image

here's a close up of how I am storing my thread and chenille, nymph skin, .etc. Whenever I need to add more material to the container I just pull it ff the wall, open it up and add more. Pull an inch or so out of the hole and it's just a snip away whenever I need it. I've got dowel rods mounted in the wall for all my thread,lead, wire, floss, rodbuilding threadetc. The side shown here is for everything other than fly tying thread.

IPB Image

Here's the other thread rack, and you can see the ledge I have to put all my paints, glues, varnishes, etc. on

Got some other stuff planned, but the way I procrastinated doing allthis stuff, who knows when it will be done. :lol:

Fot some more stuff about my photo booth in another thread

Nice looking room, I am in the process of building my tying area and its nice to see what others have done. I have a thread started in the beginners corner section of the forrum where I am showing my progress and hopeing for advice while I build it. I just started tying and its very difficult to know how to set up when I dont know what I will be needing. Seeing youre set up gives me some ideas though , thank you.

Pete

Looking good guys, i really need to get to work on my area. The first task is to build a desk for the kids computer so i can get it off my tying table :)

Here is where I gladly spend most of my time at home...

I like the dart board. It's definetly nice to have when I get a bit frustrated with a fly. :cursing: It keeps me from throwing my bobbin across the room. :blink:

The aquarium was home to my tortise Shelby. Shelby is off at a friends for a while, but usually accompanies my tying sessions.

and yes...the dart board is great for relief... :devil:

Alex why do you have a bar stool in front of your vice? Just kidding but realy (get one from work) an ofice chair on wheels, oh yea dont leave your rods leaning againts the wall they will warp, right now cabellas has rod racks on sale, one would look good beside your desk where your rods are.

Looks real good Alex, very well aranged and down right cozy B)

That 12' counter is gonna be the cats ass for rod building :headbang: My bench is about 6ft'ish which gives me room, but it would be nice to be able to have a rod in the dryer and still have room on the bench to work like you should have.

SD