Fly Tying
harrisnmo

Source for Icelandic Ponytail?

Anyone know of, hear about, ever come across, or perhaps simply suspect a commercial source for Icelandic Ponytail?

I watched a fella tie with the stuff this past weekend and was blown away by it! Like bucktail on steroids and Rogaine! Gotta get me some and get to tying, but 3 strait hours of Google'n has gotten me nowhere fast... Can find plenty of sheep's wool and horse hair patches available for sale, but nothin for Icelandic Pony Tails.

If I can't find a commercial source for the stuff, I fear I might be forced to resort to blindly emailing suspected owners of such animals and petitioning them with money to chop off thier beloved pony's tail and mail to a complete stranger! ... dunno how well that's gonna go over :huh:

Thanks gang,

Nate

Hi Harrisnmo

Im an Icelandic tier and I use a lot of horse hair for tying... but I have never ever heard of anything called Icelandic Pony Tails... The Icelandic horse is a pony compare to the US horse. What you are propably searching for is Arctic Runner but thats not the tail.

If you like to contact some icelandic fly tying stores here are some emails you can send and ask for pony tail.

[email protected] www.veidivon.is

[email protected] www.veidihornid.is

[email protected] www.vesturrost.is

[email protected] http://www.arko.is/

... I will maybe go with scissors later and cut some tail of horses that are in my town :) Only problem that I hate horses... :wallbash:

Good luck...

Palli

It would come from an Icelandic Horse...like pallagust suggests. It might be hard to find because it would be like buying a Golden Retriever skin or tail. The Icelandic is a much loved pet. It's a very small horse (pony by NA standards) which is known for it's very thick mane and tail. They are CUTE by horse standards. I used to ride them bareback when I was young. They are one tough little animal and can be quite tempermental at times.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I believe you're right about the Icelandic "Pony" being simply a small horse lost in translation.

And I kinda worried they'd be revered more closely as pets, than as a working animal... guess it's gonna be hard to convince someone over there to take the shears to thier pride and joy. Sure would like some though... the stuff 12 or so inches long, maybe longer, and makes unbelievable grocery streamers.

Can't seem to find anything quite like it except for bucktail, but ya can never find it anywhere close to that length. Played with yak, and a few other potential substitutes, but nothing seems to come close.

Thanks again for the help,

Nate Harris :yahoo:

Hello Harrisnmo,

The Icelandic pony is indeed a miniature horse by NA standards. It has, through natural selection in a rather severe enviornment, arrived at it's dimutive size. The unique quality of the tail hairs is that they are thicker than standard horse tail, and so have the ability to work well with the reverse-tie technique, and can be used with bucktail very effectively to create a color-blended large bait.

Currently, I am acquiring all the remainder that Phil Castleman has, however I have found several potential sources from the Holland tyers at the show. Glenn & Francine, at Down-n-Trout are very familiar with the material, and several years ago had purchased some. While the initial batch was good quality, they told me that the following shipment was poor, and so they discontinued ordering.

I will certainly let you know if I am successful in finding a reliable source. I will also be tying at the Dutch Fly Fair in May 6-7 of 2006, and hope to meet several of the fellows who currently supply the European Pike tyers with some of their beautiful Nordic firs.

Best Regards,

Steve Silverio

[email protected]

Steve!

I really enjoyed meeting you and watching you tie down in Jersey... Your patterns rock! I can't get your large pony-tail streamers and 'poxie covered quill patterns out of my head... waaaay to cool, and best of all, extremely fishable! That grizzly olive over white one was especially awesome! :headbang:

Thanks for taking the time to respond and putting me in the right direction for pony-tail... and I look forward to seeing you again at any shared upcomming shows.

Take care, and have a happy Thanksgiving.

Sincerely,

Nate H.

Hi guys..

Well, got myself a huge bag of "pony" tail, white, brown and black. Better start tying with this stuff, going to try to tie Black Ghost and a tube fly called Snælda. Will maybe post some photos if I get my hand on some good camera.

harrisnmo if you are interested I can maybe post you some tail if you like? Just pm me you address...

Take care

Palli