Fly Tying
Gary Miller

Chain Pickerel

It should be cold enough here in Texas in a couple of months to go after Pickerel. Anyone have any experience with this species and the flies that catch them?

- Gary

I like to use streamers and bucktails, mickey finn, deceivers, etc. as long as it has yellow or gold in them. I like muddlers also when i need to push water. :D

My best pattern for picks was made by looking at the best lure made to catch them in my opinon.

The "roostertail spinner" try making a streamer pattern along the same color as that is and use a twitching retrieve. Pickerel are awesome to catch. My largest was 26" and my smallest are little grass pickerel.

They tend to follow it in then leave then do it again and hit in the 3rd or 4th pass. I have had them follow it up to my canoe then turn around. Or you could use the smallest roostertail and flip that with your fly outfit.

I dont know how the retrieve would work though.

Gold is defintely the key color and purple work for the tail hackles. Squirrel seems to be what they use for the roostertails.

Dave

I have some info from Nova Scotia and will post it for you as soon as I can. The chain pickerel is one of our top game fish. I would also like to know if the things here would apply to your area. I will try to get all I can before the weekend is over.

check the species index page.

Also check out what everybody is using for pike. The one bit of advice I have is that if you keep getting following fish without hooking any, then speed up your retrieve.

Or if you are fishing top water go subsurface. Or visa versa. I am sory about not replying with some info but I have it packed away. Something also you might want to try is fishing parallel to the weed beds. Wade out if you can and fish along the edges. As far as I know chain pickerel like to go deep in the heat. In your case that wont be a problem. They can make quick work out of your flies so make sure you have lots. Some of the info I have says that if you are fishing a fly like a Dahlberg Diver and you are getting short strikes , look at your fly. If its making a wake on the water pull it under and strip it in quicker, it will move water but not create a disturbance on top. Ill post a fly I tied for my freind he said it slammed them this spring for him.