Fly Tying
artfly

Eel Skin Realistics

:headbang: In the tying world today it is very hard to come up with new tying techniques as well as new material . Well I think Theo Bakelaar has introduced a new highly versatile material,Eel Skin ! And from there I have introduced some new Eel skin Realistic patterns. So far my Realistic flies are "Crayfish","Praying Mantis" and I am now working on a beetle made from Eel. Let me know of a insect that you might like me to copy and I will see what I can do. Peace & Happy tying " !

We have alot of shops here that sell eelskin,i can get some if any want some.

They sell thin and thick eelskin,costs 4 euro's and a poststamp

Klaas

Now I'm wondering if bugs are attracted to eel skin like moths that eat feathers and fur??? I started making a new display yesterday with some rocks, gravel, plants, piece of driftwood, figuring I could put a few dozen flies into the scene, but really just want to put 100% synthetic flies so that nothing will start to chew on them. Eel skin sounds like something I would like to experiment with. How does it hold up when used for fishing flies? Any smell?

Graham

When u smel at it yes it smells,it always keeps some oil/grease in it.

When its dry flies or other bugs doesnt seem to notice it,its like leather.

Klaas

We have some stores here in sweden that sells it aswell Graham. Just give me a shout if you need some. I've never tied with it myself, but looking at Artfly's flies I just might give it a try.

/Ulf

I hear eel skin wallets and belts are very durable and dont smell or attract bugs. Looks like a great tying material. I need to get some eel skin to play with.

Hey Graham,

I actually heard you have to moisten the eel skin to tie with and it does have a foul odor. It could be wrong but thats what I read.

-Sam