Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hot Tuna

Hot Tuna

What a great forum! I just signed up a few days ago and have been very impressed at all the creative and useful information in here. I'm a songwriter and mortgage broker living in the Connecticut River Valley.

Within a one hour drive I can target a tremendous number of species including pike, bass, sea run trout, stripers, blue fish, false albacore and most especially trout on the Farmington and Housatonic Rivers in Connecticut. I learned to tie flies in the seventies and used to bug(no pun intended) my dad to drive me to the Fireside Angler in Melville, NY; the former home of Eric Leiser. Eric signed his book Fly Tying Materials to me in 1973; I guess that means I'm getting old.

My favorite fly tiers/authors are Eric Leiser, A.K.Best, Dave Hughes and Dick Talleur. I've taken group fly tying classes with Dick. He's such a great teacher...I love his trick of standing behind you and placing his hands over your shoulders to demonstrate the tying move so you see it like you were doing it yourself. What a great way to show kids and adults. I've been a life member of the FFF, HFFA and Farmington River Anglers for around twenty years now. I tie and fish primarily for trout; many of my friends in this area have gone over to almost exclusively saltwater but I still love stream fishing the best. I can think of no better place to test fly patterns than on the incredibly picky trout of the Farmington River in CT. Those fish can tell if you used 6/0 or 8/0 unithread! That's all for now...I hope you enjoy my occasional input for I have definitely enjoyed reading the posts in here.

All the best....

"I'm going to stand out on the banks of the river...I won't be back no more" Rev. Gary Davis

Welcome to the forums Hot Tuna. We are glad to have ya.

Since you are new I'll let ya know that when you log in you can simply click the "view new posts" icon next to "my controls" and it will show you all of the posts that have occured since the last time you were logged in. A very usefull tool.