Fly Tying
Graham

What's in your vise?

You guys have probably seen the pics of my finished dragonfly for Bud. I mentioned before that I took step by step pics, but took a razor blade to the fly and started over. Well, I decided to show the pics of the aborted fly. Above I have already posted pics of making the eyes, and that the abdomen was tied on copper wire. Luckily I was able to re-use the abdomen and wings.

Here I'm tying on the eyes, with a piece of foam between them. On my second try I re-made the eyes and first coated the Organza material with flex-seal, before tying over half a cracked glass bead, keeps the fibers more uniformly parallel, and easier to work with.

IPB Image

Here I'm making the head by tying the foam backwards, but the foam was cut too wide.

IPB Image

Here's a pic of the wings, pre-scribed the viens with a short sharp bodkin, some coloring with markers ,then a very thin layer of violet tinted varnsih, then cut out with scissors.

IPB Image

Now here's where I really screwed up, the legs are too far apart, second fly has only one fiber per leg instead of two, and the abdomen is way too long and snakey looking. I did continue and even had the wings set in place, then the next morning took a razor to the hook. On the second fly I cut the foam under the abdomen and tied it further up the hook. For legs I used olive Chinese Nymph Legs, just olive bristles from a hand broom made in China...LOL.

Graham

IPB Image

Hey Guys,

It's been quiet for too long at my vise, haven't had time to tye in a couple weeks now, but I'm wondering what others are tying. I need to do at least one mayfly for this months challenge, but with Christmas and family things going on, I know I'll have a lot of tying to catch up with in January.

Anyway, any cool new bug pix?

Graham

I've been working with the same fly for almost a month now and to prevent me from going insane I've had to work on other flies at the same time. So after I finished my stonefly nymf I started on an adult stonefly aswell, will post photos of it later tonight.

/Ulf

Good Day,

In my case - vises (pl). Right now I am working on the Octopuss II, tiny (size 32 hook) realistic mosquito, and walking stick. Also, other experiments and a few "normal" flies on the side as my shoulders allow. Must keep up the variety to allow brain to "relax" from any particular pattern. It is good to stepp away for a bit, helps me to keep things "fres".

Steelie

For the next 3 weeks my vise will be gathering dust...Mt son is home from college and he'll probably want his bedroom back :blink:

If I need a tying fix, I'll strap my lamp to the kitchen table between meals :P

Happy holidays to all...

Are all of our vices getting dusty or being used for more for lately for tying impressionist flies? I haven't tyed in over a month and just made a set of dragonfly wings, so it's time to tye again. I never timed how long it takes to scribe all the little veins in a set of dragonfly wings, takes about 30 minutes to do four wings. I could just scribe a few veins real quick, but for me it's worth taking the extra time to make them as detailed as possible. I found a new bodkin over the holiday with a short half inch needle, sure makes scribing lines much easier on the ol fingers. Dragonfly wings sure take a lot longer to make than other insects.

Graham

Are all of our vices getting dusty or being used for more for lately for tying impressionist flies? I haven't tyed in over a month and just made a set of dragonfly wings, so it's time to tye again. I never timed how long it takes to scribe all the little veins in a set of dragonfly wings, takes about 30 minutes to do four wings. I could just scribe a few veins real quick, but for me it's worth taking the extra time to make them as detailed as possible. I found a new bodkin over the holiday with a short half inch needle, sure makes scribing lines much easier on the ol fingers. Dragonfly wings sure take a lot longer to make than other insects.

Graham

I am going to try the realistic dragon fly soon as all my swap flies are done. I am so glad I read this post. I looked today at some wing material and was wondering what aproach I was going to take. Thanks Graham!

Hey Daryn, If you want I'll send some wings to you in the mail, pre-printed, you can scribe the lines if you want. It's the least I can do, I have the realistics you sent me last year, now in small frame at my tying area. I'd need a PM'd address.

I've actually been spending quite a bit of time making a display even hand coloring the gravel with pantones and colored varnishes, looking pretty cool so far. I tried to hot glue gun a sweet stonefly onto a piece of oiled driftwood in the display and the heat melted off a couple legs. Now I'm wondering what the best way to secure the flies will be.

Graham

Yo Graham...My son has returned to Lehigh so I'm back at the vise :P I tying up some Sowela's for a FTF swap but I'm going to get to my realistics...Time for another Katydid, mayfly and shhhhhhhhhhhhh, a "signature" bug from my neighborhood. :ph34r:

Tomorrow AM it's Chinook vs SullyTM...RAIN or shine I'm on the H20...I've got my flies, including my realistics. Wish you could join me...

Joe Hard...Post your photos. I always look forward to seeing what mischief you're up to :hyst:

Later. SullyTM

Graham,

put hot glue on wood first and QUICKLY put fly in place should work. but then again 5 minute epoxy will do well. I have used both for varying displays. I use hot glue for shadow boxes and epoxy for 3-D displays. I like the epoxy better for 3-D displays as it dries more clearly and not cloudy like hot glue.

Steelie

I would love to see photos of some displays you guys have done. I have started on some simple 3D displays for my own flies aswell of some flies I have swapped with other realistic tiers and would love to get some inspiration on how to do it.

So far I have done nothing more fancy than this for my Siphlonurus nymf

post-2830-1136759200_thumb.jpg

/Ulf

Oh, and just to get back to the main topic. Right now I'm working on a fly for the Mustad Scandinavian Open competition, been tyin on it from time to time for almost two months now, I'm sure gonna be glad when it's finally finished :)

Apart from that I'm trying to do some quick ties fishable realistics, might aswell start to develope some good fishables for this summers big trip to norhen norway for the trophy trout and grayling! Will post photos as soon as they are ready.

/Ulf

After spending a month working on my fly for the realistic contest, I took alittle time off to tie christmas ornaments. Now I have an adult dragon fly in process! With a couple different tail styles! Will try and get some pic's to show my progress!

I have a new wing I tried out! Made a tool to stamp the shape in the wing. Came out good for a first try!

BFR

Good Day,

Ulf - I too make 3-D displays. I use the plastic proctection cases that are intended for collectible toy cars.

I build them up with Gravel, stones, sand, epoxy or gel medium along with high quality fake plants or grass. Example to follow:

post-295-1136841910_thumb.jpg

These are example of the small ones, like matchbox or hot wheel size boxes. I have made bigger and plan to make larger displays this winter as well for realistics.

Steelie

Wow, Steelie those look sweet!!! I'll take a pic of my small practice one it's 12" x 24". I was working on it last night, still no flies attached, and got an interesting suggestion from my wife about securing flies onto it. She hadn't seen most of my realistcs and wondered why I would secure flies so that they were permanently attached. Now I'm going to experiment with Museum Wax, stuff thats used around here in earthquake country, to solidly stick things into place, like statues, crystal glasses onto shelves. When you want to remove an item you just have to twist it a bit and it comes off. looks like it might work well for flies???