Fly Tying
Graham

Match the Hatch #12

It's been almost a full year since the Realistic section of the FTF started, and it's time for our 12th monthly Match the Hatch topic. During the past year I've seen some amazing mayflies posted here and I am taking the liberty of using a great picture from uffe puffe of an Ephemera Vulgata mayfly, for this months fly.

IPB Image

For a closer view and larger format photo, click below

Ephemera Vulgata

This should be an exciting topic with some pretty flies and if anyone has questions or needs assistance, please ask.

Graham

Wow great tying. I see, you capture a moderator and find out what flies are going to be posted next? Smart man you are.

Here is my finished fly, using "Graham wings". I couldnt wait until morning to post it so the pics are pretty bad. I will take new ones, but for now..they will do. I think i might have to make a new fly because personaly i think it looks like ____ :poop:

:crutch:

IPB Image

IPB Image

mine is in the vice about half done. looks so good i dont wanna touch it :j_k: i'll try to finish it this week end. schools kept my tying time so limited it seems i never tie anymore. great work so far guys. hopefully i dont mess mine up from here. keep you posted with how it goes.

Seth

Hey Fusion,

I remember the difference between the blurry dragonfly pics compared to the clear ones. Your mayfly looks fantastic blurry, now I'm really looking forward to seeing it clearly. the profile looks sweet.

Graham

Ok i can finally post. First i had to tie the fly. then the computer wouldnt let me put the pictures on. So finally all of that is done. I have my fly. It not as good as i would have liked it but its ok. Any areas that need work would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Seth,

post-3142-1135114344_thumb.jpg

post-3142-1135114383_thumb.jpg

post-3142-1135114419_thumb.jpg

Hey Seth! I think that is one very fine looking mayfly you have produced! There is nothing major wrong with it and the proportions are perfect, but if I might give some advice on it I think you should focus on making the segmentation more symertical and perhaps better toning on the colours. But I think it's great already! Keep up the good work!

/Ulf

Hi Seth,

You should feel very proud of this fly, especially being your first attempt, it looks exceptionally realistic. Nice work, very nice.

Graham