Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

Emerging Midge Swap

OLB,

l Call my self majestyja, I'm downtoearthlv's friend. I would love to take part in this swap.

please count me in.

tight loops

majestyja.

Okay that leaves just one more spot left! Welcome to FTF majestyja! How do you like the site so far?

OLB

1-Trout Traveler

2-myjeepcherokee

3-down2earthlv

4-crotalus

5-djpeet

6-fcflyguy

7-mgj

8-fry flier

9-geozip

10-majestyja

11-sjocrapels

12-

Alright we got a full house!!!!!!!!! Flys due to me by 2-15, but remember the sooner we get them all in, the sooner I can host another swap :D Have fun tying fellas :yahoo:

OLB

1-Trout Traveler

2-myjeepcherokee

3-down2earthlv

4-crotalus

5-djpeet

6-fcflyguy

7-mgj

8-fry flier

9-geozip

10-majestyja

11-sjocrapels

12-bamboo

When do you guys fish theses? :dunno:

I only wish a zebera midge a few times .

mine are done will be in the mail next week.

now I can get back to the other 500 swaps Iam :D

Fcflyguy

I fish 'em rather frequently on the tailwaters of the colorado at lees ferry and the san juan.

so I tie and fish a lotta these. they're easy and fast to tie and sure as hell work.

mgj

I was planning on fishing a lot of midges for winter trout here in MI on the Au Sable.

MJG-what hook size is the best representation of an average sized midge?

man, I tie them in #18 max. all the way down to #28, which is the size I'm tying for this swap.

lees ferrry #20-#24 zebras are best.

on the juan smaller flies even still. #20 is a good standard size for running waters. midge magic is a good book on it as is ed engle's fishing small flies (what a book!),

mgj

I second that emotion. I only fish midges and emergers on the creeks in winter...when my wife lets me out of the house :hyst:

I do alot of midge fishing out of my float tube on Kolob reservoir just outside of Zion....For the longest time I fished two of 'em below a strike indicator, but these crazy fish would take my indicator more often than my midges! When the hatch is on, its hard to keep the fat trout off your line, so there are no shortages of strikes. I started spinning up some quite small deer hair flys, size 10 max. I only fish one midge under this (due to local laws) and it has proved to be a winning combination. In the sierras, when nymphing is hot, I love to keep my buddys guessing for awhile while I haul in the fish (they've caught on now) ....I tie a 'dropper' midge on to trail my nymph...usually a pheasant tail.... Needless to say, I go through more than my share of these dudes on a trip. 90 % of all the ones I frequently tie are 18s and 20s, I have gone as large as 14, and as small as 28, but the 18 to 20 range just works for where I fish.... I suggest you try it out, even if it may not seem to fit the situation, these midges are like magic!