Fly Tying
troutboy365

Thread sizes?

I have been tying for a while but have always wondered if there is a specific thread size for a hook size. For instance if I am tying a #18 should I be using a certain thread size like 10/0?

I have been using 14/0 lately for a lot of my ties but just wondered if there is a guideline that I should be following. Thx!

i stick with 6/0 and 8/0 almost exclusively. I generally use 8/0 for 18-24 and 6/0 for 16 and bigger. I dont spin much hair or tie really big flies, if i did i would probably add some 3/0

I generally use 6/0 to 8/0 on most my flies also, but for dry flies 16 and smaller I use danvilles spider web. A little trick to use at first but you get the hang of it.

Best Wishes,

Sam

Good Day,

Unfortunately there currently is no true industry standard for thead size or its definition. Sizes may vary widely from different manufacturers even thought the size number identification may be the same or similar. There are many reasons for this. Some size by denier, some by metric weight, some by actual diameter, etc. However, there was a recent article, in Fly Tyer i believe, that stated the major fly tying thread suppliers are considering getting together to create an industry standard sizing chart. This certainly will make things much easier! I am sure that a chart for tread to hook will be created shortly thereafter.

The following link may assist you however.

SteelieMy Webpage

Hi troutboy365,

I let the situation drive the thread size. EX: If I'm tying an order of Humpies I use single strand floss for size #12 and larger, 3/0 for #14 & 16, and 6/0 for everthing #18 & smaller. I change thread to fit the fly size because it also forms the body. On a Wulff with a dubbed body, I use 6/0 for everything. I'd say 90% of my tying is with 6/0 except when tying Humpies. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

danvilles spider web

Picked some up for tying on 26 and smaller! Works very good for what I'm doing!

BFR

It does not matter what you use as long as it turns out the same.

I use 12/0 most of the time

18/0 on a size 26 or smaller

8/0 when I need some str

Joe Fox

I use 6/0 and 8/0 for every thing I tie. I don't break the thread as easy using those two. Big flys I will use 3/0 or Kevlar thread (for bass plugs) you can't break that stuff.