Fly Tying
down2earthlv

Everyone's First Flys!?

Beginner's first fly?  

204 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I tied a little yellow dry fly in my hands and it sunk, then I tied one that floated and my freind stole it because it was better than his :angry:

Olive Scud. Tied in a tying class, first time I held a bobbin, tied on a strip of thin plastic, fine wire, dubbed the body, then pulled over the plastic and ribbed it. Was really quite challenging but sure was fun, seemed like I'd save a bundle tying my own. lol..

Graham

I tied a streamer with a normal bait hook and some of my mom's sewwing thread, it caught a smallmouth and made me happier than a pig in sh**. I was 10.

wooly bugger, I was told if I could tie that I could tie anything. I've learned the bugger but can't tie any realistics yet, what a liar that guy was! :ripped:

Well i voted nymph thinking of the gold ribbed hare's ear i tied a few years ago. But then it dawned on me that that was when i got back into flytying.

Back when i was in 7th grade i joined fly tying club. Our first fly was a marabou streamer, followed by a wooly bugger. I actually still have them.

1980ish vintage, both have been fished and have caught trout

IPB Image

I just recntly started tying and I had a heck of a time thinking what my first fly was. Then I remembered being at my brothers house in Az. for thanksgiveing and tying a woolybugger. A woolybugger it is.

Pheasant Tail Somethingorother

On a whim, I bought a huge estate lot (4 bazillion hooks, 5 vices, a box of tools, etc., etc.) of fly tying materials on ebay. It was the encouragement and advice received from the awesome membership on this site when I first posted this photo that set me out on the most satisfying hobby I've ever had.

IPB Image

It's been my avatar to this day.

Cheers!

Gary

First fly I tied as a kid was a simple orange feathered wing streamer. First fly i tied as an adult getting serious was a Goddard caddis. Both were an EXTREMELY long time ago!!

Mark Delaney

If memory serves me correctly, it was a No. 6 Mickey Finn streamer, dressed much too heavily.

My vise was the collet of an X-Acto knife, locked into a set of Vise-Grips and held between my knees. My "bobbin" was a plastic soda straw, bent into a triangular shape to hold the thread spool, with a hole in the bottom of the triangle to allow the thread to pass through.

John

If memory serves me correctly, it was a No. 6 Mickey Finn streamer, dressed much too heavily.

My vise was the collet of an X-Acto knife, locked into a set of Vise-Grips and held between my knees. My "bobbin" was a plastic soda straw, bent into a triangular shape to hold the thread spool, with a hole in the bottom of the triangle to allow the thread to pass through.

John

That sure is being resorcefull.