Fly Tying
down2earthlv

Everyone's First Flys!?

Beginner's first fly?  

204 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mine was a wooly worm, I thought it looked good at the time, now I think it looks like crap. It was fun to tie though, and hey we all gotta start somewhere.

It was 40 years ago, and I can't remember the pattern, but I tied a poor copy of a dry fly from Family Circle's Guide to Trout Flies and How to Tie Them. Still have the book, well worn, torn, and scribbled in by a younger sibling.

-- Bill

I took a fly tying course from the local rod&gun club when I was probably 13. We started with black bear green but salmon fly, size 4. I don't have it anymore by I bet'ya anything the head was at least a 1/4" in diameter and crowded the eye so bad you wouldn't have been able to tie it on. :P

I remember way back when, (last christmas) I tied my first fly. It was a very simple san juan worm. It was so simple to do, tie on a piece of small red chenille, burn the ends just a bit and tie it off. That was what got me "hooked". Unfortunately, I found that things got a lot more complicated, but also a lot more fun and enjoyable. :D

Hi everyone,

A dry March Brown was the first fly I tried to tye for the beginning of the trout season and which I'm fortunate enough to still have one of them. I got the dressing from the first fly tying book that I bought from the library sale for £1.50 called Let's Fish The Clyde by Robert.C.Sharp, it is now a very rare book and if you can find one you will have to pay in excess of £100.

All the best Davie

My first one was about 4 months ago, a Mickey Finn. It had way to much material, and I still don't think it will catch fish. The only thing I've been able to catch fish with as of now is a wooly bugger. Fishing as been awfull here since the season begun on May 1st, and it's been raining on and off for the last 2 weeks... :( I really hope the weather gets better so I can try one of my dry flies, which hopefully will catch fish.

Started this obsession a few years back. Took a class, and we tied a wooly worm.

Mine has cement all over it, and a NASTY mess of thread at the front. Didn't know how to whip finish

and it makes me shudder to see it now. (it's in a box on my bench)

The "instructor" called it a bugger, but it's a really a "worm". Turned out, he taught us a lot of stuff that was

wrong.

Boy, I'd love to go back in time and take that class again, with what I have learned!

I'm new to the site, but not new to tying(not that it helps). My first fly was a "sorta" picket pin wet when I was about 8 or 9. My uncle gave me a bucktail with all the white gone, a box of hooks, a peacock plume, and a half a brown saddle. He also gave me a cheap vice and a spool of thread along with a picket pin from his wallet and told me "have fun". After figuring out how to get the stuff to stay on the hook, I tied up that whole box of hooks. I gave him a dozen or so and sold the rest at a flea market that my mom had a table at for a penny a peice. I wish I would have kept one of those for myself. They were ugly as sin, and didn't look quite like what he gave me but I was told they caught(I didn't flyfish back then, that started a few years later). Fast forward 25 years and my tying hasn't gotten a whole lot better but I still keep at it. Maybe with the help of this site I can finally start tying stuff that looks somewhat presentable and I won't feel embarrassed when someone asks to see what flies I'm using. Although it is kinda funny hearing "you caught all of them fish on THAT?!?"

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and have been fly fishing for about two years now. I have just started tying my own fly about two months ago.

My first effort is a deceiver. These are the results after cutting up about 10 flies as the early efforts looked like a bunch of feathers and fur lashed together over a hook :P

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

These was tied for a trip to target Travelleys in Salt water.

regards

Albert

Albert: Those Deceivers should do the trick -- have you gotten out after those trevallies?

--Bill