Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Brinx

I'll be away from the bench for a while

Hello everyone,

I don't know if this will get moved to another board or not, but it's true.....I will be away from the tying bench for awhile. Here's the deal....

I recently started having some symptoms and went to my doctor of which he scheduled me for a colonoscopy. I went to find out the results of my colonoscopy and was told that I do, in fact, have colon cancer. I’m going to try to answer a lot of the questions most of you will have and at the end of it, you will know everything I know.

First of all, as I said….yes, I do have Colon Cancer. The tumor is located extremely low in the colon and they will perform surgery to remove a section of the colon and then sew the two ends back together. Once the tumor is removed they will test it to find out if it has spread into the lymphnodes or not. If it has, chemotherapy is absolutely necessary. If it has not, the Oncologist may still choose to do Chemo anyway as I am a young “fit” (don’t laugh) guy as an aggressive approach to make sure there isn’t anything anywhere else. This is often done with young men to assure them the most years ahead of them as possible. For example, if it’s not in the nodes of a 70 y/o man they probably wouldn’t do Chemo. There’s a good chance they will in younger men even if it’s not in the nodes. My surgery is scheduled for Friday December 23rd. I don’t know what time yet. I will be in the hospital for 5 days. After which I will be out of commission for 2-3 weeks. They say that I should be able to start working, probably on a part time basis, at the end of the 2-3 weeks working my way into full time. Full recovery from the surgery should take about 6 weeks.

They tell me the size of the tumor really doesn’t matter as it’s all about whether or not it’s in the lymph nodes. When I asked about how long it has been there, they indicated it could be as long as 8 years I could’ve had “something” in there. That means I could’ve been as young as 29 with something going on. Probably started out as a polyp and just grew over the years into a tumor. Nobody anywhere can have any idea about what caused it. They also have no way of knowing how long it’s actually been cancerous. It probably was not cancerous to begin with and at some point transitioned to cancer.

O.k., now that I have your attention, I’m going to step up onto my soap box now. I ask you to please get yourselves checked. This means to see your doctor and schedule a colonoscopy. This is the only way they can know if there’s anything in there or not. It’s possible I could’ve had something in me from the time I was 29 so age does not matter. I know they say you should have them done yearly once you’re 40. I’m 37 and have had it for who knows how long. If I had done something even a couple years ago, who knows…..it may not have been cancerous. It’s an unbelievably easy, completely painless procedure. There is absolutely nothing to fear about it. Only good can come out of having it done. You owe it to your families to find out. Please take the time to schedule a colonoscopy.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this. I know it was long.

With God by my side, I will get through this and will return a better, stronger John. I will of course keep you updated as I and my family go through things.

Merry Christmas to all of you, here’s to a prosperous new year and great tying season. Just save a place for me on the river, I'll have the waders on in no time.

John

John - That is terrible news, but it sounds like you caught it in time and have the right attitude to beat this. Keep your head up brother; I am sure we'll be digging the new stuff you come up with in the near future.

-mike

Brinx YOU will be in my prayers!!! My father in law had stomach cancer a year and a half ago. It was a lymphoma and a fast spreader too. He kept his mind on living and beating it and he did. The treatments are getting so much better now than in the past. Keep you mind on comming out and winning it and stay strong for your family. God speed and god bless!!!!! matt

John,

I'm praying for you! Keep your mind set on beating this and I'm sure you'll be at the bench and rivers in no time. Just keep your head up and us updated.

Warmest Wishes,

Sam

Sounds like you've got the right attitude to beat it :thumbup:

I know thats a sensitive area to talk about with some people, but can I ask what the symptoms were?

Brinx- you and your family is in my prayers. Many close to me have been diagnosed with cancer in one form or another, and all have beat it! The one thing they will all tell you is......STAY POSITIVE! There are so many effective treatments for it, and with a little support and a good attitude (like you already have!) this will be just a little speed bump in the road we call life.

Hang in there John. And your right, we all should get check ups on a yearly basis, although I admit I dont do it myself but need to do so.

My dad passed away at 52 yrs old simply because he had prostate cancer and never went to the doctor to have it checked out untill it was way to late. If he had went earlier then he may still be here today.

Glad you went and had it checked out, that may have been a life saving decision. Sounds like you have a great attitude and at your age you should be able to bounce back in no time. Keep us posted on how your doing.

I know the panic associated with the words "your biopsy came back positve for cancer". I went through the removal of skin cancer just two weeks ago. While I didn't face nearly the difficulties you're staring at, I can certainly appreciate the enormity of the implication. Keep your spirits up, keep your game face on - in the 21st century science delivers miracles on a daily basis. With God's grace they will deliver one for you, too. You have my most sincere and heartfelt prayers and good wishes. We'll keep some hungry fish in the rivers for your healthy return.

Joe C.

That's a fucked up way to spend the holidays

Sorry to hear that, John.

Keep the faith! With today's technology/medicine you're in a good position to beat this thing

I see we're neighbors (well sort of..), let's make sure we get together this spring/summer and put the hurt on those silly Muskegon trout. I'll even row your ass. ;)

Hey John, this is tough news. Thank you for sharing the news and your feelings. I am glad that you have the courage, fight, and faith to beat the cancer. Hold your head up, swagger when you walk, be kind to strangers, and know that my family and I are thinking of you and yours.

I will gladly save you a place on the water. Once you feel ready to tackle a pretty little spring creek in Wyoming, send me an e-mail; I will be proud to share it with you.

Russ

Hey,

I must say that sucks. My sis (age 32) has a disease called Gardner's Syndrome and has the majority of her bowels removed. So I can sort of understand what you are going through. It sounds as though it was cought early enough so we all hope all goes well. We will send a cast to the Fly Gods for you. :innocent:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this