Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
polock

damned near got the hang of spinnin hair... what am i doing wrong

heres the link for another recent post with a bunch of tying videos. i just downloaded the one with dave whitlock tying up a spun deer hair bug and its awesome. the only downside to this videos is you have to download their OMN software to get the videos but no viruses or anything like that so your safe to do so. they also take a bit of time to download the videos too.

echo what's already been said.

pack the hair, pack the hair

it will be easier to pack if you use smaller clumps of deer hair

then practice, practice, practice

I just started tying decent hair bugs a few wks ago. The thing that I found most helpful was a few good half hitches after spinning in a clump of hair. it keeps it solidly in place which is the key for packing hair nice and tight. also dont get carried away on brassies and other so called packing tools. I used a gutted out gel pen tube and it works great. just remember to hold onto the back of the hook, then push good and hard on the pen. once that is done, take a few wraps of thread and tie off with a half hitch. You'll get well packed flies everytime.