Fly Tying
ChrisB

To Tie and Watch TV

I'm trying to design a small table that I can use while I sit in my Lazyboy, so I can watch the TV and be with my family. I hate tieing in the garage because it's cold or hot depending on the season and I don't get to be there with my wife and young daughter.

Anyone have blue prints for desiging a lap top table? I've seen Orvis' stuff, Cabella's stuff, crappy stuff from Walmart, etc. I've got the materials I'd like to use, I'm just not sure if there isn't anything better without having to spend an arm and a leg to buy or build it.

Thanks for listening...

A brand new flyer.

Chris in Little Rock Arkansas

If I was in your shoes I would sit in the chair and put on a movie, and think about what you will need. Something on wheels so you can slide it out of your way, and light enough to do so. Something that will allow enogh room to work but hold all the materials you will need. Something to hold a drink and some munchies, and the remote, very important. You will also need a good light that will not shine on the T.V. or in your or others eyes. I would build it so it is more like a desk that you can position over your chair rather than something that sits on your lap. Now if you could only get the lazy boy to flush!

Not sure I'd risk getting glue and crap on my La-Z-Boy...

I stole a desk/chair from my university that was a perfect portable tying station, could hold a vise and clamp on a light...materials just kept in boxes.

Just offer some Frat boys beer and they'll get you one.

Two ideas...

1. I have seen some custom lap tables that are basically a serving tray customized to handle a vise. Very portable, you could use it anywhere.

2. I built a table for my living room last year that is based on a folding t.v. dinner style table. Using this design I was able to make a table that fits around my favorite chair. It also folds pretty flat when the wife gets tired of seeing it in the living room. I also enjoy being in the living room, watching t.v. while I tie. I like mine alot and you can even make it to match your furniture. :D

Good luck, hope this helps.

I'd like to see how a lap top table could work, I think I would need to be sitting up at a good solid desk with good light etc. My best set up so far is just a roll top type desk, except mine is more of a hinged door type, but the general principle seems to work fine, my gear is then all out of the way if I just close the front, I can come and go at the tying station as I please and its not interfered with, and I am right there with the family in the warm. If I was lying back with something on my lap it would be a mess with crap everywhere, poor light, knocking things over and so on. Each to his own though, just my thoughts.

Good Day,

I went down to the local lumber yard and got a few "scraps" of oak. The ends from orders that they really don't know what else to do with except sell in the srap bin for cheap. I made a lap desk about 24" wide and 16" deep. They also had a small 3" wide strip that I drilled several holes into for tools and mounted it to the base with oak dowels. Then I cut some 3/4" round for the edges so things wouldn't slide or roll of the edge into the chair or such.

Steelie

B) Chris, be sure and post pics when you get done. You might have the idea the rest have been looking for. :headbang: