Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hot Tuna

Score at the Dollar Store

I just scored 4 Twice A Day(14 compartment, good size) pill organizers for 1.00 each at the Dollar Store. These are the Assured brand; I'm going to drill out the necessary hole for each color and will have 4 new dubbing dispensers for 4.00.

I'm going to experiment with one and see if I can get zelon and sparkle yearn to come through the holes without shredding..I'll use the others for Ligas, Andra spectrum and beaver dubbing blends.

I'm sure many of you have done this but for those who haven't....there it is.

All the best,

Hot Tuna

PS Now you know what kind of dubbings I like.

I don't care what you say dubbing is not made to be in containers! How would you find it if it wasn't floating around on your tying desk in fluffy globs?

I don't care what you say dubbing is not made to be in containers! How would you find it if it wasn't floating around on your tying desk in fluffy globs?

Ooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhh, yeah good point mcfly! Where would I be if I didn't waste countless hours searching around finding bits of dubbing here and there, eventually gathering enough to generate one fly. Kinda takes the fun out of it now wouldn't it?

Kinda takes the fun out of it now wouldn't it?

Exactly! Next thing you know you'll have organized tools and sorted hooks! :lol:

So weird,

The wife and I went out for dinner tonight and she wanted to stop at the dollar store. I went in with her and saw those 14 day pill organizers. Picked one up and the wife says, "I can just see it, another fly fishing idea?"

Never thought of using them for dubbing; I thought they would make great dry fly boxes, they were even marked for the day of the week you could fish the flies (Monday, Tuesday, Wenesday, ect.). OK, now I'm crazy.

Conehead

Hi Conehead....they will make great dryfly boxes and they're a lot cheaper than a Wheatley! Now as far as sorting by the day you're going fishing.....THAT'S FUNNY!

All the best,

Hot Tuna

that style of box also makes great hook boxes. I really like the fact that you can open single compartments. Most of the hook boxes sold in fly shops have one large lid which can lead to mixed hook sizes, not to mention disaster if you happen to spill the box.

While your in there, look for the cheap, wooden picture frames and shadow boxes if you want to display any flies. Also, my local stre has some mini, row boats that I'm gonna try to display some flies on.

You are right on it redleg...I got two of those shadow boxes the same day I got the pill boxes...thanks for pointing that out I forgot to mention it....I got one that features a small frame for a picture like a 4 x6 and then a nice wide rectangular shadow box with some cheapy dried flower in it which will soon be coming out!

Happy New Year,

Hot Tuna

Your local hardware store sells little rubber grommets in the electrical section and there are tons of sizes so if you have trouble with things getting shredded while comign out of your homeade boxes just pop a couple of the grommets in and you'll be set. I guess tape works too. But sometimes it just has to look pretty!

Good Luck,

Jake

Sign in to follow this