Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Redwings1

Crawtail

The only suggestion I can make is to add some weight to get the fly down. Crayfish live on the bottom, and if one were to get severed, the pieces would stay drifting near the bottom.

Redwings1, a point of note, crawfish don't "bleed". They have no visible red blood (that I have ever seen). If you rip a crayfish apart, you will find that if anything there is a lot of yellow to be seen; both solid and liquid. In another study I saw, it was found that the color yellow was discovered to illicit the greatest feeding response in bass, of all colors! Think about it; they see yeallow in blugills, they see yellow in crawfish guts, they see yellow on some frog bellies, and grasshoppers. I have seen golden shiners with very yellow bellies, bullheads (madtoms) with very yellow bellies....bass gnerally attack from beneath.. What's the first thing they will see, but the belly?

I know it's thought that wounded, easy prey is best to fool bass, and what would indicate wounded better than red=blood=wounded? However, I have actually reduced my catch rate by adding red to an other wise all pearl fly!!! I have had good days with it, though, too. So, I can see where it's easy to think that red on a fly will make it better, but it's not automatically better.

Yet, another study showed that bass preferred a softshell to a hard shell adult. Something about a softshell emitting an amino acid that is alluring to bass, as they know the smell indicates a defenseless...easily eaten crayfish. So maybe a tan or light olive colored tail fly pattern should be on your list to test out.

You are right, of course, that they don't bleed but the red wasn't intended to directly represent blood. The red when under water fans out and mixes in between the pearl rubber to give a pinkish fleshy look which was more the color that I found in our local streams here in central Ohio. I will of course now have to tie some with yellow and some with tan to do a double blind fish test... :huh: I am also playing with different materials on the back; the dark ultra suede gave the effect but not necessarily the color I was looking for. I am looking at colors variations to meet the differing colors from molted craws, to the dark brown or even the more blueish tinted guys.